Univ.-Prof. Dr. Andrea Hemetsberger
Professor of Branding
University of Innsbruck School of Management
I graduated in home economics at the Institute for Pedagogical Studies in Innsbruck and in Business Management at the Leopold-Franzens University of Innsbruck. After a two-year project for the Austrian Chamber of Commerce I was working and lecturing at the former Department of Marketing and Retailing before I finished my doctorate in 1997. In 2000 I was granted a Marie-Curie fellowship from the European Commission and spent a year at the department of Marketing at Tilburg University, Tilburg, The Netherlands. After finishing my Habilitation thesis in 2006 I was visiting researcher at the Schulich School of Business, York University in Toronto, Kanada and visiting professor at the Ecole Supérieur des Economiques et Commerciales, Paris, France. I am guest professor at the Université Paris-Dauphine in Paris, and guest lecturer at the International Luxury MBA at the ESSEC business school, since 2008.
Since May 2010 I am academic director of the interdisciplinary research platform Organizations & Society at the University of Innsbruck; since April 2011 Professor of Branding at the Department of Strategic Management & Marketing, and academic coordinator of the Brand Research Laboratory Brand Lab at the University of Innsbruck.
Area of Research:
My research revolves around Branding; Brand Performativity; Luxury Experiences; Everyday Luxuries and Identity Construction; Consumers' Pursuit of Being Different (Anders-sein); Authentication Processes; Marketing Paradoxes, Tensions and Change in the Free Software and the Open Source field; Brand Legimization; Markets and Morality.
Interpretive Studies, some quantitative modelling and experiments
Consumer Culture Theoretics, Action Nets, Activity Theory, Social Representations & Social Mediation Theory, Performativity Theory, Convention Theory, and more.
Research projects and interests:
- Brands as Complex Social Phenomena (gemeinsam mit Hans Mühlbacher) und Eric Arnould)¶
- Branding Conchita - a social mediation view of a persona brand
- Anders-sein - in Pursuit of Being Different
- Moments of Luxury (gemeinsam mit Sylvia von Wallpach)
- Narratives of Motherhood (gemeinsam mit Sylvia von Wallpach)
- Putting GOOGLE to test - discourses of legitimization (gemeinsam mit Sabrina Gabl und Verena Stöckl)
- Paradoxes and Tensions in Mature Open Source Communities (gemeinsam mit Sabrina Gabl)
- Performing LEGO - the performative co-construction of brands (gemeinsam mit Sylvia von Wallpach)
- Bricolage in Social Organizations (gemeinsam mit Florian Ladstätter-Fussenegger und Andreas Plank)
- Processes of Interessement in Multiple Stakeholder Branding (gemeinsam mit Sylvia von Wallpach)
- Brand Action Nets (gemeinsam mit Sylvia von Wallpach und Sabrina Gabl)
Link to Master and Diploma theses:
- Andrea Hemetsberger, Sylvia von Wallpach and Martina Bauer (2015), “Women in Transition - consumption narratives of first-time motherhood,” NA-Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.43, Duluth, MN: Association for Consumer Research.
- Gabl, Sabrina, Stöckl, Verena and Andrea Hemetsberger. (2013) “The Two Sides of the Gold Medal: Paradoxes of The Olympic Experience,” NA-Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.41, eds. Simona Botti and Aparna Labroo, Duluth, MN: Association for Consumer Research.
- Hemetsberger, Andrea (2013), “Crowdsourcing,” In: Russell W. Belk and Rosa Llamas (eds.), The Digital Consumer, New York: Routledge Companion Series, 159-170.
- Hemetsberger, Andrea, Bauer, Martina, von Wallpach, Sylvia and Katrin Broger (2012), “’On transit’ – Changes in Consumer-Brand Relationships During Transition from Student to Professional Life, Marketing Journal of Research and Management, Vol.35 (1), 40-49.
- Andrea Hemetsberger, Sylvia von Wallpach and Martina Bauer (2012), “Because I’m Worth It – Luxury and the Construction of Consumers’ Selves,” Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 40.
- Gabl, Sabrina and Andrea Hemetsberger (2012), “Collective Authentication,” Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 40.
- Hemetsberger, Andrea and Ralf Weinberger (2012), “In Pursuit of Being Different,” Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 40.
- Bauer, Martina, Sylvia von Wallpach and Andrea Hemetsberger (2011), “ ‘My little luxury’ – a consumer-centered, experiential view, ” Marketing Journal of Research and Management, 38/1, 57-66.
- Roland Schroll, Andrea Hemetsberger, and Johann Füller. (2011), “Fine Feathers Make Fine Birds - Community Brands and Branded Communities,” Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 38.
- Ralf Weinberger and Andrea Hemetsberger (2011), “Men, Bags, and the City – Male’s Adoption of Non-Traditional Gender Aesthetics,” Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 38.
- Hemetsberger, Andrea and Christian Reinhardt (2009), "Collective Development in Open-Source Communities: An Activity Theoretical Perspective on Successful Online Collaboration," Organization Studies, Vol. 30, 9, 987-1008.
- Kozinets, Robert V., Andrea Hemetsberger and Hope J. Schau (2008), "The Wisdom of Consumer Crowds: Collective Innovation in the Age of Networked Marketing," Journal of Macromarketing, Vol. 28, 4, 339-354.
- Andrea Hemetsberger (2008), "Consumers' Changing Roles - from Creative Communities to Entrepreneurial Tribes," European Advances in Consumer Research, Milan, 2007, Vol.8, 345-346.
- Association for Consumer Research (ACR)
- European Marketing Academy (EMAC)
- Marie-Curie Fellowship Association (MCFA)
- Verband der Hochschullehrer für Betriebswirtschaft (VHB)