The Photonics group is lead by Prof. Gregor Weihs at the Institute for Experimental Physics at the University of Innsbruck. We conduct research in quantum optics, nonlinear optics, the optics of semiconductor nanostructures, and in addition we perform experiments on the foundations of (quantum) physics.
BSc/MSc theses, open positions
- Our topics for bachelor thesis in the coming summer term are now online (German)
- Good MSc students are always welcome to embark on one of our exciting topics (German) and are encouraged to take the course component ("Forschungspraktikum") in our group to prepare them for the thesis research work. Foreign students beware: MSc students are not normally funded in Austria.
- We participate in the doctoral program "Atoms, Light and Molecules". Strong PhD candidates should apply there.
- Applications of exceptionally qualified prospective PhD students and Post-Docs should be sent to
- Internships are only considered for EU-nationals or applicants with a valid work visa for Austria.
2016-08-10: Optical Model Kits [German]
2016-07-06: We congratulate Tobias Huber on his PhD. Thesis
2016-07-01: Maximilian Prilmüller joins the Group as PhD. student
2016-06-29: We congratulate Maximilian Prilmüller on his MSc. Thesis
2016-06-23: Robert Keil receives Carl Zeiss Research Awards for Young Researchers [news]
2016-03-10: Ulrich Czopak joins the group as a new MSc student
Most of our projects are concerned with the creation and applications of entanglement. For the creation of entangled photon pairs we employ semiconductor micro- and nanostructures such as quantum-well microcavities, quantum dots, and Bragg-reflection waveguides. In the future these could be integrated with lasers, active and passive optical elements and even detectors on a single chip. Our long term-goal is the quantum optics lab on a chip. In addition we pursue experiments on the foundations of quantum mechanics and in quantum communication, for example quantum key distribution. (read more...)
Urbasi Sinha [22.06.2016-23.06.2016]
Victor Manuel Bastidas Valencia [30.05.2016-03.06.2016]
Alexander Szameit, Toni Eichelkraut, Borivoje Dakic [09.05.2016-11.05.2016]
Andreas Poppe & Momtchil Peev (Huawei) [20.04.2016]
Sergey V.Polyakov [29.02.2016]
Glenn Solomon [01.10.2015-31.01.2016]
Olivier Gazzano [19.10.2015-23.10.2015]