Department

Mission

 

The Department is devoted to research and teaching in the fields of European Law, Public International Law, International Economic Law, and International Relations.

Development

The „Department of Public International Law and Philosophy of Law“, founded in 1956, was renamed to “Department of Public International Law and International Relations” after the appointment of o. Univ.-Prof. DDDr. Waldemar Hummer to a Chair at the University of Innsbruck. After a special “Division of European Law” had been established in 1991, the Department was reconstituted as “Department of Public International Law, European Law and International Relations” in 1999. In 2001, a Jean Monnet Chair of the Law of the European Union was created to which Univ.-Prof. Dr. Werner Schroeder was appointed. Due to the amended Organization Plan of the University of Innsbruck, the Department was renamed to “Department of European Law and Public International Law” in 2006.

European Documentation Centre affiliated to the Department

Already in 1985, on the basis of a contract of the then Department of Public International Law and International Relations with the European Commission, a “European Documentation Centre” (EDC) was established, making accessible to the public a large number of documents of the European Communities resp. the European Union. In 1996, this agreement was replaced by a contract between the European Communities and the University of Innsbruck establishing a European Documentation Centre which was affiliated to the Department of European Law and International Law.