Information for Applicants
with Foreign School-Leaving Certificate

All applicants who wish to be admitted to study at the University of Innsbruck must apply online. The desired study programme is selected from the study programme and the online application is started.

A. Requirements for admission to the study programme
B. Required documents for the admission
C. Dates and deadlines
D. Processing of the online application
E. Information of the applicant (notification)
F. General notes

A. Requirements for admission to the study programme 

1. School-leaving certificate (general university entrance qualification)

The proof of the general university entrance qualification is usually provided by the school-leaving certificate. If a school-leaving certificate does not comply with the Austrian requirements acc. to §63 of the Universities Act 2002 and no further relevant university education can be presented, supplementary examinations must be taken before being admitted as degree student.


2. Admission proof (proof of special university entrance qualification)

Proof of special university entrance qualification must be provided by all students who are not citizens of EU/EEA countries. 

- equal students according to the Austrian Regulation of Eligible Groups of Students

New students must proof direct and current admission to the study programme for which they apply at the University of Innsbruck, in the country where their school-leaving certificate was issued. For foreign schools, that country is considered the issuing country under the legislation of which the examination for the school-leaving certificate was taken.

Thus, in the country, where the school-leaving certificate was issued, all the requirements in addition to the school-leaving certificate must be met for being admitted as students (e.g. entrance examination, average grade point in the school-leaving certificate, choice of subject for the school-leaving certificate).

Direct university access must be expressly confirmed by the admission authority (rector/dean, Ministry of Education etc.) and must contain information on the admission requirements or qualifications resp. (result of the entrance examination, minimum/maximum number of points etc.). The proof of admission must have been issued for the requested semester and study programme.

If the study programme was started in a country other than the country of issue of the school-leaving certificate, the section for new students above applies.


Students continuing their study programme who are non-EU/EEA citizens must submit the following documents:

official confirmation that their study programme may be continued without restriction at a state-recognised university in the country of issue of the school-leaving certificate

current matriculation confirmation

proof of the entire study success including detailed information on the ECTS1-Credits achieved, all failed examinations, repetition options (examination regulations). If necessary, the examination register (e.g. index book) must be submitted.

information on the admission requirements for a continuing Master’s or Doctoral/PhD programme can be found here.

1European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) are credit units that are acquired in higher education via performance records and aim at facilitating the change from one university to another, also cross-border.


3. Knowledge of the German language

Applicants applying for study programmes with instructional language German must present proof of German language skills of at least level A2 acc. to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). At the time of admission proof of knowledge of the German Language at level B2 must be presented. (exception: For the Master’s Programme in Translation Studies proof of level C1 must be presented). If applicants don’t have sufficient command of the German language, they can pass a supplementary examination (§63 par. 10a Universities Act 2002) before admission as degree students. 

More information on the language proofs can be found here.


B. Required documents for the admission

1. Online application

All applicants who wish to be admitted to study at the University of Innsbruck must apply online. The desired study programme is selected from the study programme and the online application is started.


2. Document certification and translation of documents

The certification of a document serves to confirm the authenticity of attached seals and signatures. That is why documents must certified even if the original is presented.

Exempt are only documents from countries with which Austria has concluded an agreement for the exemption of accreditations. Applicants with documents from the People’s Republic of China must have them additionally certified by the Austrian Academic Testing Centre in Beijing (APS). Information on this can be found at the homepage of the Academic Testing Centre /Cultural Department of the German Embassy Beijing.

Non-German language documents must be translated into German or English by a court-certified translator. All credentials must be translated and the signature of the translator must be authenticated by the competent authority such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (exempt are translations made by court-certified translators in Austria). Translation and certified documents must be inseparable.

a) No certification in case of intergovernmental agreements

Certificates from EU/EEA countries and the following countries do not require certification if they are submitted in the original (with official stamp or seal):

  • Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • Macedonia
  • Montenegro
  • Switzerland
  • Serbia

However, copies must be certified by an authority holding a seal of approval (e.g. university, public court) or a notary. Certifications from a parish office of a lawyer are not accepted. Non-German or non-English documents must be translated.


b) Document Certification by Apostille

Documents from the member states of the Hague Apostille Convention are required to be certified by apostille, which is to be issued by the respective national authorities: Albania, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, China (Macao and Hong Kong only), Costa Rica, Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, India, Israel, Japan, Cape Verde, Kazakhstan, Colombia, Korea (Republic), Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Morocco, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico , Moldova, Monaco, Mozambique, Namibia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue, Oman, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Russian Federation, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, St. Christopher and Nevis, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, South Africa, Suriname, Swaziland, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Ukraine, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, United States, United Kingdom, Cyprus. Pursuant to article 4 of the Hague Convention, the apostille must be affixed to the original document itself. Information on which authority in the respective state is responsible for the certification can be found here


c) Double certification (= full diplomatic certification)

For states with which there is no agreement (that is all countries not listed under (a) and (b), certification must first be carried out in a complete chain domestically. Final certification is then carried out by the competent Austrian authority in the country of issue of the documents. Please note that only original documents can be certified.

(e.g. school, university) confirms authenticity by seal and signature 

(e.g. Ministry of Education, Ministry of Science) certifies the seal and signature of 1.

The translation must be inseparable from the certified document. 

certifies seal and signature of 2. and 3. 


certifies seal and signature of 4.


3. Curriculum vitae

A tabular curriculum vitae, which in particular shows the previous training path without gaps, must be added to the online application.


C. Dates and deadlines

The online application including all required documents must be handed in by 15 June at the latest (for the winter semester) and by 15 December at the latest (for the summer semester) resp.

The full application will be reviewed by the Admission Office in the order of arrival. Please note that the processing of the applications may take some time. In the case of a positive decision, you will receive a notification with which you can enrol during the admission period.

D. Processing of the online application

The full application will be reviewed by the Admission Office in the order of arrival. Please note that the processing of the applications may take some time. In the case of a positive decision, you will receive a notification with which you can enrol during the admission period.


E. Information of the applicant (notification)

In the case of a positive decision, you are entitled to take up the study programme which is mentioned in the notification at the University of Innsbruck within the admission period. For personal registration, please bring all required documents in the original and in copy. The validity of the notification expires if the admission is not granted by the end of the admission period.

Please inform in time on the start of your courses ( and clarify in good time with the course lecturer whether a visit of the courses will also be possible if admission is granted only after the beginning of the semester.

Information on the required tuition fees and the ÖH-fee can be found here.

An application for recognition of studies and examinations completed abroad may only be made after admission to the University of Innsbruck. The application forms can be found on the profile pages of the selected study programme.


F. General notes


If you are not a citizen of a member state of the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you must apply for a residence permit. Forms for the granting of a residence permit can be obtained from the Austrian representation authority (embassy or consulate) in your home country. Detailled information on the entry and residence regulations is available at the OeAD.

Accommodation in Innsbruck

The University of Innsbruck does not offer or rent out apartments or rooms.  The Austrian Student Union (ÖH) supports you in your search for an apartment or room with their accommodation exchange


Enquire in advance in your home country if you can apply for a scholarship.

Information on applying for a performance-based or needs-based scholarship can be found here. More information on accommodation, living expenses, scholarships and study opportunities are available at the OeAD and at the Austrian Students’ Union.

 ↑ top 

Nach oben scrollen