Bachelor’s Programme Translation Studies
Would you like to acquire methodological and theoretical knowledge and cultural studies skills in the field of translation and interpreting?
The students of the Bachelor’s Degree Programme in Translation Studies gain basic theoretical and methodological knowledge and practical skills in the area of transcultural communication. They learn translating and interpreting in the languages offered at the Institute for Translation Studies.
Please note: the language of instruction for this programme is German.
Graduates are able to elaborate, evaluate and implement scientific developments in the fields of translation, cultural science and foreign languages and to apply them in interdisciplinary contexts. They possess scientifically well-founded theoretical and methodical problem-solving skills as well as mental, communicative and technical key competences.
The Bachelor's Programme Translation Studies serves to train experts in intercultural communication and leads to a first university degree in general translation of the languages offered at the Institute of Translation Studies. In addition to foreign-language, cultural-scientific and translational skills, the competences required for professional activity in the field of transcultural communication also include general key competences:
- mental skills (reflection, abstraction, independent further education)
- social skills (cooperation, communication)
- technical skills (research, use of technical equipment)
Detailed educational goals are the acquisition and development of the following competences:
- safe use of experession in the working languages
- methodical and theoretical knowledge for targeted problem-solving in terms of translation and interpretation
- ability to independently develop a scientific or practical problem with subject-specific and/or job-related emphasis
- knowledge of the cultural contexts and characteristics relevant for translation and interpretation
- knowledge of current professional work equipment and translation technologies
Experts in intercultuaral communication are to be found in a wide range of activities and careers: translation agencies as well as international enterprises, public and private institutions, national and international organisations, media, tourism businesses, non-governmental organizations, migration and integration institutions.
Graduates tracking: Shows which occupational fields students enter after graduation