The students of this Master’s degree programme gain competencies in the cultural analysis of life styles, every day life practices and complex socio-cultural processes. They also learn to understand the historical dimensions of contemporary phenomena and discourses, to deconstruct popular identity concepts and their instrumentalisation in media and politics and to present academic findings to the broader public.
Please note: the language of instruction for this programme is German.
Master of Arts (MA)
4 semesters/120 ECTS-Credits
Mode of Study
Relevant bachelor's degree or equivalent, language certificates
Information on the curriculum
The right degree for me?
- acquire and apply competencies in the analysis of cultures (e.g. youth culture scene)
- analyse complex sociocultural processes (e.g. modernisation and anxieties and fears related to it)
- understand and educate on the historical dimensions of contemporary phenomena and discourses
- deconstruct popular identity concepts and their instrumentalisation in media and politics
- learn to present scientific knowledge for the broader public (e.g. in museums, media and culture management)
Career Service (in German)
My career opportunities
- pursue an academic career
- work in museums, the exhibition, collecton and documentation sectors
- work in culture management
- work in media, journalism and publishing
- employment in NGOs and multicultural development
- work in adult education
- work in cultural policy and education and administration
Graduates tracking: provides information on the occupational fields students enter after graduation