Which processes take place below the Earth’s surface? How often do earthquakes occur? Where do you find signs of the climate of past geolocial times? What influences the properties and quality of ceramics? The students of the Master’s Degree Programme in Earth Sciences develop further competencies in the analysis of geo-relevant materials and data. Students may choose an individual focus in applied areas (e.g. engineering geology, hydrogeology, natural hazards, ceramic materials) and theoretic disciplines (e.g. climate reconstruction, geochronology, geodynamics, petrology).
Please note: the language of instruction for this programme is German.
Master of Science (MSc)
4 semesters/120 ECTS-Credits
Mode of Study
Relevant bachelor's degree or equivalent, language certificates
Information on the curriculum
The right degree for me?
- deepen knowledge in geology and mineralogy
- state-of-the art field studies in the Alps
- analyse and synthesise materials in labs
- pick a study focus
- write a Master thesis in cooperation with leading research groups
Depending on the individual specialisation (especially when focusing on applied mineralogy) there are similarities to the Master's programme Materials Sciences and Nanosciences .
My career opportunities
- employment in provincial and federal geological service departments
- work in engineering and planning offices
- positions in the energy sector
- prospecting work
- analytics of materials
- employment in industry, e.g. glass, ceramics, cement
- become a researcher and teacher at universities and research institutes
- work in museums
- and many more individualized career opportunities