32-010 Course element Video live stream
In the course element Video live stream you can embed live streams directly into your OpenOlat course.
Please note: Live streaming is only possible in specially equipped lecture halls (See Equipment and Rooms for more information). With this course element the live stream will be automatically made accessible for your students at the predefined point in time. To successfully stream your lecture, you will have to classify it correctly in VIS:online (Tick the checkbox E-Learning or Aufzeichnungen and eLearning).
In order to make your live stream available for guests you have to give guests access to your course (see HelpCard 10-070).
Should your course not be a VIS-synchronised one, please contact the department Digitale Medien und Lerntechnologien.
- Open your course via Authoring.
- Click onto Administration and then onto Course editor. The Course editor opens up.
- Choose Insert course elements in the upper left-hand corner and under Knowledge Transfer the course element Video live stream. The course element has been added to the course structure and can (if necessary) be moved to a different place via Drag&Drop. Alternatively it is possible to add course elements with the Quick-Add function in the yellow-lined menu on top of the course: Insert the name of the course element into the Quick-Add bar and push the Enter button.
- Fill in the title shown in the course structure under Title in the tab Title and description and, if desired, fill in the Description. Click onto Insert additional information to add Objectives, instructions or instructions for the coach. In Addition to this, you can Set a link for this course element by clicking onto the blue text and copying the predefined link. Save your changes.
- In the tabs Visibility and Access or Learning path you can, if desired, regulate the visibility and the access to the course elements:
- In the tab Layout you can change the layout of course elements. You can add background images to course elements or change the font colour. How to do this you will find in HelpCard 10-033.
- In the tab Configuration: In general we do not recommend that the default settings in this tab are changed. You may adapt the following settings to your preferences: The Buffer time before start (in minutes) and the Buffer time after end (in minutes). In any case we recommend to stick with the predetermined 5 minutes.
- Click onto the red X in the upper right-hand corner to close the Course editor. To publish these changes, choose the option Yes, automatically (for further information about the Publishing of course contents see HelpCard 10-020). The course view has been adjusted to include any changes made.
In the tab Livestreams in the course view you will see all entered live stream appointments. In the predefined timeframe a player will appear in this course element during which the live stream will be streamed. Should a live stream appointment not show up in the course element Calendar or the course view of the course element Video live stream, check if it has been entered correctly into VIS:online. VIS:online and OpenOlat are synchronised every 2 hours.
Please note: it may happen that the English HelpCards are not up to date. Should you find discrepancies with the functions in OpenOlat, please refer to the German version of the HelpCard.
OpenOlat HelpCards by Universität Innsbruck: Digitale Medien und Lerntechnologien and Hochschule Furtwangen: Learning Services is licensed under CC BY-NC 4.0