34-020 Course element LTI page
LTI stands for Learning Tools Interoperability. The course element LTI page offers you an interface with which you can display learning content from other systems in your course that are not actually part of OpenOlat. This serves e.g. to integrate courses from other learning management systems or learning applications running on another server such as a chat, mediawiki or virtual lab.
When using the LTI learning content, it should be noted that although the content is displayed in the OpenOlat user interface, the participants' activities take place on a different system. Personalised data such as user name or email address can be transferred to the individual tools. Conversely, the tools can report a score back to the OpenOlat course for assessable activities. If the LTI page is configured so that the content is displayed in the OpenOlat user interface, participants may not even notice that they are working on an external system.
Attention: For a configuration of the course element you need access data to the system you want to integrate. You can get this information from the person in charge of the external system!
Since data is passed on to external systems, it is possible that individual tools are blocked by the OpenOlat security settings. In this case, please contact email@example.com for further advice.
- Click on Course Editor in the course navigation at the top left under Administration. The course editor opens.
- Select Insert course element at the top and the element LTI page under Other. The element has now been created in the course navigation and can be moved (if necessary later) by drag&drop. Alternatively, you can use the Quick-Add function in the yellow streamlined menu bar to enter the name of the desired element and conveniently insert it into your course by pressing the Enter key.
- In the Title and Description tab, enter the title to be displayed in the course structure on the left. Click on Enter extended information to enter additional learning objectives, instructions or notes for the tutor. Furthermore, you can set a direct link to this course element in order to refer to it from outside or inside the course by clicking on the text highlighted in blue and copying the existing link. Save your entries.
- In the tabs Visibility and Access or Learning Path you can regulate visibility and access, if required:
- If your course is a conventional course, you will find more detailed information inHelpCard 10-030.
- If your course is a learning pad, you will find more detailed information in HelpCard 10-031.
- In the tab Layout you can change the layout of course elements. You can provide individual course elements with different background pictures or change the text colour. How to do this you will find in HelpCard 10-033.
- Select the tab Page Content. Here you can configure the following parameters:
- URL: Enter the address of the external learning application in the format "https://tools.vcrp.de/lti_quiz/lti_quizwand.php" in this input field.
- Key: Here you enter the key you received from the provider of the external learning application ("lti_quiz" in the example above).
- Password: Enter the password that matches the key and that you also received from the provider of the external learning application ("weeHoo1w" in the example above).
- In addition, you will receive the following options:
- Start content automatically
- Transfer first name/last name
- Transfer e-mail address
- Additional attributes
- OpenOlat roles
- Transfer Score
- Select Display and Display Area to define how the content is displayed.
- Height of display area: Select automatic or an explicit size if the automatic function is insufficient.
- Show all information transmitted on launch (Debug): If you tick this checkbox, the information sent is displayed to the users. This includes, for example, the user identification, the course name, the course element, etc.
- Click on the red X in the top right-hand corner to close the course editor. To publish the change, select the option Yes, automatically (for details on publishing, see HelpCard 10-020). In the course view that opens, all changes have now been applied.
Problems or questions?
Phone: +43 512 507-23555
Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: it may happen that the English HelpCards are not up to date. Should you find discrepancies with the functions in OpenOlat, please refer to the German version of the HelpCard.
OpenOlat HelpCards by Universität Innsbruck: Digitale Medien und Lerntechnologien and Hochschule Furtwangen: Learning Services is licensed under CC BY-NC 4.0