30-070 Topic Assignment
The course element Topic Assignment allows for a digital assignment of topics. This course element is particularly useful for topics that can be used in seminar works the process of which can then be mentored accordingly. Finished works can be handed in via the Drop Box and coaches can give feedback via the Return box. There is one sub folder assigned to each course member.
Should you like to assess course members’ works digitally, you can use the course element Assessment for this purpose (see HelpCard 30-170).
- Open your course via Authoring.
- Click onto Administration and then onto Course editor. The Course editor opens up.
- Choose Insert course elements in the upper left-hand corner and under Other the course element Topic assignment. The course element has been added to the course structure and can (if necessary) be moved to a different place via Drag&Drop. Alternatively it is possible to add course elements with the Quick-Add function in the yellow-lined menu on top of the course: Insert the name of the course element into the Quick-Add bar and push the Enter button.
- Fill in the title shown in the course structure under Title in the tab Title and description and, if desired, fill in the Description. Click onto Insert additional information to add Objectives, instructions or instructions for the coach. In Addition to this, you can Set a link for this course element by clicking onto the blue text and copying the predefined link. Save your changes.
- In the tabs Visibility and Access or Learning path you can, if desired, regulate the visibility and the access to the course elements:
- In the tab Layout you can change the layout of course elements. You can add background images to course elements or change the font colour. How to do this you will find in HelpCard 10-033 Layout.
- In the tab Configuration you can determine the basic configuration of the topics that will be created:
- Do you want to limit the number of Topics per participant? With this configuration you can limit the number of topics that each participant can choose.
- Topic authors have to accept participants: If you choose this option, participants can only tentatively sign up for a topic. Topic authors need to choose and accept the definite participants from the potential ones. If you don’t choose this option, then all participants will automatically be accepted that have signed up for the topic(s) in question. Topic authors still have the option of limiting the vacancies for a topic.
Only one Topic allowed (participants accepted will be signed out automatically from other Topics): this option means that participants that have already been accepted by the topic author will automatically be signed out of all other chosen topics. Participants are thus only signed up for one topic. ADDITION: this can only be chosen if the previous option has been ticked. This function alone does not determine that the maximal number of topics that a participant can choose is limited!
Add additional fields:
Via Add field you can add a maximum of five fields for a more detailed description of the topics that are adapted to your preferences. If you select Appears in table, this field will be shown in the topic overview. If you do not select this, the information will be shown in the detailed topic description.
Registration deadline: The topic owner can choose to determine a Registration deadline for a topic. Once the deadline is reached, participants cannot either select or deselect a topic. Only the topic owner can add or remove participants at a later date.
Due date: Once the due date is reached, the drop box will be closed and the participants will not be able to upload documents there any longer.
Should you choose Appears in table, the date(s) will be shown in the topic overview.
- The persons responsible for the topics can be added in the tab Persons in charge. If you add course participants here, they are then able to create topics themselves.
- The Drop box as well as the Return box can be activated and deactivated via the tab Partial elements.
- A text for the Confirmation of handing in (optionally via e-mail as well) can be activated in the tab Due date.
- Click onto the red X in the upper right-hand corner to close the Course editor. To publish these changes, choose the option Yes, automatically (for further information about the publishing of course contents see HelpCard 10-020). The course view has been adjusted to include any changes made.
- Click onto the course element and create a new topic with the button Create Topic. Here, you can add how many participants can edit or select the topic.
Please note: it may happen that the English HelpCards are not up to date. Should you find discrepancies with the functions in OpenOlat, please refer to the German version of the HelpCard.
OpenOlat HelpCards by Universität Innsbruck: Digitale Medien und Lerntechnologien and Hochschule Furtwangen: Learning Services is licensed under CC BY-NC 4.0