Master’s Programme Software Engineering
You want to dedicate yourself to building reliable software systems on an industrial scale?
Software is the major driver behind many social and economic developments. Software Engineering is the discipline dedicated to building reliable software systems at industrial scale.
Students enrolled in the Master’s Degree Programme advance their knowledge and skills in the specification, implementation and operation of next-generation software systems and infrastructure.
Students of the Master’s Programme in Software Engineering learn
- methods and practices for the design, analysis, implementation, testing, maintenance and operation of complex IT systems;
- to master of tools and processes for the implementation of innovative and technically demanding software projects;
- in-depth technical and scientific knowledge in selected areas of software engineering;
- the ability to critically reflect on the limits of technical solutions in order to make responsible decisions about their practical use;
- to work in interdisciplinary teams and to act as an interface between specialist departments and development teams.
The Master’s Programme in Software Engineering advances and expands the knowledge and skills acquired during a relevant bachelor’s programme. In particular, it imparts the knowledge as well as the theoretical, methodological and practical skills and competences for analysing complex tasks in the field of software engineering and for implementing them in a targeted manner.
The following key competences are imparted or advanced during the Master’s Programme in Software Engineering:
- In-depth knowledge of the methods and practices for the design, analysis, construction, testing, maintenance and operation of complex IT systems
- Critical questioning of technologies, applications and scientific approaches in order to make well-founded, targeted and responsible decisions about their practical use
- Ability to implement innovative and technically demanding software projects, to work responsibly in interdisciplinary teams and to act as an interface between specialist departments and development teams
The master’s programme is guided by reference to research in the areas of software engineering, data engineering, information security and IT management as well as practical issues. The language of instruction is English.
Due to their acquired qualifications, graduates can work in a wide range of professional fields in which they can take on positions with responsibility.
These are in particular areas of responsibility with a focus on individual phases of the software life cycle as well as coordinating activities in the complex interaction between IT systems and organisations. Relevant roles are, for example, those of IT or system architects, product managers, software quality managers, those responsible for digitisation projects, IT consultants or IT entrepreneurs.
The master’s programme also provides knowledge and skills that enable persons to carry out highly qualified and independent research work within the scope of a continuing doctoral programme.
Graduates tracking: Shows which occupational fields students enter after graduation
Why study Software Engineering in Innsbruck?
''Because we believe in the opportunities of software technologies and the power of data. Our mission is to bring value to the people.''
– Benjamin Floriani
''Because software engineers enable the digital transformation. Our software solutions connect real and digital worlds.''
– Eduard Frankford
''Because software engineering makes you a collaborator. Practicing analyzing, modelling and testing also shapes the mindset of systematic thinking.''
– Melanie Ernst