Mobility programmes

There are different ways to spend a stay abroad related to your studies. Depending on your desired purpose of travel and the time you have available, you can choose between different mobility programmes. You can find more detailed information by clicking on the respective tab in the box. 

Exchange semester or year

Here you can find information on our most popular mobility programmes for outgoing students. The programmes listed in this section are all based on bi- or multilateral agreements that exist between the University of Innsbruck and your potential host university.



The largest and best-known European mobility programme for students


Joint Study

Exchange semester at one of the non-European partner universities of the University of Innsbruck

Skagsanden beach, Flakstad, Norway

Aurora Exchange Pro­gramme

Exchange semester at another Aurora partner university

Eras­mus+ Inter­na­tional

Allows a stay beyond the programme countries


Familiar with two cultures

Research & conference visits

Here you will find information on scholarships for research work and conference visits abroad, which are handled directly by the International Relations Office, but also links to other funding institutions.

Researching in a library


Scholarship for short-term academic work abroad (Master's Theses, Diploma Theses, Dissertations, Habilitation) post-doctoral theses)

Logo Förderkreis 1669

1669 Inter­na­tional Con­fer­ence Schol­ar­ships

Funding of conference participation of young researchers by the sponsoring association

US flag and money

Mar­shall Plan Schol­ar­ship

Scholarship for research in the USA within the scope of Master's Theses, Diploma Theses and Dissertations in the technical sciences

Skagsanden beach, Flakstad, Norway

Aurora PhD The­sis Grant

Scholarships and travel grants for research abroad in the Aurora Pilot Domains

Other Mobility Programmes and Scholarships

Further mobility formats can be found in the  Database for Scholarships and Research Grants ( of the Austrian Agency for Education and Internationalisation (OeAD), whereby the list below is by no means exhaustive.

Mari­etta Blau-Schol­ar­ship

Scholarship of the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research for PhD-students to perfect their Dissertation abroad

Ful­bright Schol­ar­ship for Grad­u­ates

Scholarship for graduates of bachelor’s programmes, who want to complete a master`s programme in the USA

Aus­trian Lec­ture­ship Pro­gramme

Mobility programme for teaching the German language, literature and regional studies of Austria at foreign universities

Interships abroad

Here you will find information on internships abroad for students and graduates. In principle, you have to organise internships yourself, but financial support is available depending on the destination country.


Eras­mus+ Trainee­ship

Internships for students and graduates in European countries between 2 and 12 months

Short-term/blended/virtual mobility

Here you will find information on internships abroad for students and graduates. In principle, you have to organise internships yourself, but financial support is available depending on the destination country.

Students work together on a laptop

Aurora short-term mobi­lity

Short-term/blended/virtual mobility offers at the UIBK


Eras­mus+ BIP

Blended intensive programmes within the scope of Erasmus+


The University of Innsbruck does not have its own freemover programme. Thus, "freemovers" or "non-exchange students" have to organise the entire stay abroad themselves. Below you will find a general guide.

Useful tips are also available at the websites of Asia Exchange or World of Students .

If none of our  partner universities appeals to you or if there is no agreement with the foreign university in your field of study, you still have the option of completing a semester abroad as a "freemover" or "non-exchange student".

First, check on the website of the respective foreign university whether your field of study is offered. If this is the case, you have to enrol as a regular student at the foreign host university. Please contact the respective study department or the International Office regarding the application process (requirements, deadlines, etc.).

After you have received the official Letter of Acceptance from the host university, please send it to  Christina Plattner and in cc to Verena Mungenast so that your stay abroad can be registered in LFU:online.

Attention must also be paid to the courses offered by the respective host university, because after all, progress in your studies should be guaranteed.

Find out about the courses offered by the respective host university and consider courses that can be credited at the University of Innsbruck.

Make a list of courses that fit your studies at UIBK and interest you. This list should include the course title, course content, effort (giving presentations, writing papers,...) and rating of the respective courses.  As soon as the list has been compiled, you can make an appointment with the Dean of Studies/Associate Dean of Studies to clarify whether the selected courses can be credited and how many ECTS-Credits you will receive for them.

For this you can use our recognition agreement .

IMPORTANT: A comprehensive course selection is recommended, as it is quite possible that individual courses are no longer offered, you cannot/are not allowed to take a course or similar.

Please note that finding accommodation in some countries can prove to be very difficult - especially in the winter semester. Some host universities have their own student residences and a certain number of places reserved for international students. Please enquire about this with the host university. In any case, you should find out about the housing options, student halls and prices early.

You should inform yourself in good time about the entry requirements of the host country. Information on the various visa applications (student visa, etc.) can be found on the website of the respective embassy or consulate.

When applying for a visa, you must expect a longer processing time, so you should find out as early as possible which documents are required, how the application must be submitted (in person, by mail, ...), etc.

Furthermore, applying for a visa usually involves additional costs.

Some universities require proof of language skills. Below you will find information on the most popular language tests:


If the host university requires a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL test), please check the   website in good time to find out when the next test will take place.


The International English Language Testing System is a globally recognised language test of the   British Council. However, this test is also offers at the UIBK Language Centre .

Language proficiency tests

The Language Centre at the UIBK offered language proficiency tests . These exams are held for English (B2 level), French (B1 level) and for Spanish (B1 level). The examination consists of an oral and a written part and can be taken four times a year. Whether these examinations are accepted by the respective host university must be clarified in advance.

The University of Innsbruck does not offer any corresponding scholarships. You might find financial support on the following websites:

If you have to cancel your semester/year abroad (for whatever reason), please inform the host university first and then the International Relations Office (IRO) at the UIBK.

The IRO informs the Department of Studies about your cancellation so that the stay abroad can be deleted from LFU:online.

A cancellation of your stay abroad is possible any time!

At the latest 4 weeks after the end of the semester abroad, please send a confirmation of stay (with the exact start and end dates of the semester abroad) and a copy of the transcript from the host university to the Admission Office  so that your stay can be officially registered in LFU:online.

Summer/winter schools

Summer and winter schools offer the opportunity to gain ECTS-Credits outside of the normal university schedule. In addition to the seminars (which are often held in English), language courses and a social programme are usually offered to get to know the country and the culture. The costs for summer or winter schools vary greatly.

Please note that only the Dean of Studies responsible for your study programme decides whether courses or ECTS-Credits that you have acquired at a summer or winter school, can also be counted towards your study programme at the University of Innsbruck.

More information about summer and winter schools of the University of Innsbruck can be found at the website of the Office for Continuing Education.

Currently no offers available.

Currently no offers available.


Currently no offers available.

Nach oben scrollen