Erasmus+ Traineeships

With ERASMUS+, students and graduates can spend up to 12 months per study cycle (Bachelor, Master, PhD; diploma students up to 24 months) abroad in Europe for study and/or internship purposes.


Stays already completed (also in the predecessor programmes such as Erasmus and Leonardo) are added together. The twelve months can be divided into several stays, e.g. in the Bachelor 1 semester = 5 months spent at a partner institution + 7 months internship with a company.

The ERASMUS+ Traineeship must last at least 2 full months and at most 12 months and can be completed in a company, a training or research institution or at another organisation. This excludes European Union institutions and institutions administering or funded by EU programmes.

Student internships (voluntary internships and compulsory internships) and graduate internships are funded. The internship must be a meaningful addition to your studies. The internship must be full-time, i.e. at least 35 hours per week.

You can apply for an Erasmus+ grant for both paid and unpaid traineeships.

The application must be submitted in full at least 2 months before the start of the traineeship.

Advantages for students

Advantages for host institutions

  • improve competitiveness with new know-how
  • transfer of new technologies and working methods
  • contact with universities and potential new employees
  • expand international network
  • promote intercultural competences in the team


Larissa Jenewein, MA MSc +43 512 507-32410 (Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., Tuesday + Wednesday: 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.)

Are you interested in an Erasmus+ internship at the University of Innsbruck?
Find more information about  incoming internships here.

More Information

Internships are supported in the following countries

EU member states incl. overseas departments
Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Turkey, Northern Macedonia, Serbia, United Kingdom (see "Insurance and visas")

Internships in Austria are not eligible for funding, as they do not constitute an internship abroad. The decisive factor is not the nationality of the applicant, but the location of the university.

An internship in the country of origin is possible in principle but has the lowest priority. The internship place must be at least 200 kilometres air line from the home address. In this case, proof of residence in Innsbruck must be provided at the time of application.

Student internships

Students have the possibility to apply for an Erasmus+ grant for both a compulsory internship and a voluntary internship. The internship must be a meaningful addition to the degree programme. This is confirmed by the Dean of Studies or Associate Dean of Studies by signing the application for recognition. This means that your internship will also appear in your Diploma Supplement when you graduate.

Graduate internships

Funding for graduate internships can be applied for for an internship that follows a completed degree programme. The internship does not have to begin immediately after graduation but must be completed no later than one year after graduation. The application must be made while you are still studying. You must not be pursuing any other studies at the time of the internship. Proof of graduation must be submitted prior to commencement of the internship, otherwise funding is excluded. If you have already completed an Erasmus stay at the level of study you have completed, these periods will be added together (so, for example, 5 months of Erasmus+ study in BA Political Science, now you are completing your BA Physics, so another 7 months of internship can be funded).

Teacher traineeships/language assistance

Erasmus+ traineeships can also be applied for a language assistantship. The requirements and deadlines for this are the same as for student/graduate traineeships. It is particularly important to note that the internship must be completed at an institution. The requirement of at least 35h/week is made up of teaching time, preparation and follow-up, participation in school life, etc. Your host institution must confirm the total hours in the Learning Agreement. Confirmation of working hours may be required.

Language skills and language course

You do not have to prove any special language skills when applying to us.
As part of your stay, you will be assigned an online language assessment. You will have the opportunity to take an online language course in the local or working language (currently available languages: DE, EN, FR, ES, IT, NL (all levels), PT (B2), BG, CS, DA, FI, EL, HU, HR, PL, RM, SV, SK (A1)).

Special grants

Equal opportunities are a central concern in the Erasmus+ Programme. Since the beginning of the Erasmus Programme in Austria, the national agency has been promoting the mobility of participants with fewer opportunities on behalf of the European Commission. Students with fewer opportunities have the possibility to receive a monthly flat-rate grant (= top-up) or/and a so-called inclusion support. The top-up is a lump sum and can be spent as desired. In the case of inclusion support, additional costs incurred in real terms are covered on the basis of an application. Examples of eligible costs: real costs for additional childcare incurred due to absence; travel costs to therapy in the home country; shipping costs for medication, etc.

The defined group of people "students with fewer opportunities" currently includes:

  • students and recent graduates with disabilities,
  • students and recent graduates with chronic illnesses (if additional costs are incurred abroad),
  • students and recent graduates with child/children (top-up if child(ren) also in host country) 
  • Experience report and further information on the topic of a stay abroad with child(ren)

Those who belong to one of these groups can indicate this when applying for an Erasmus+ stay. The application must then be submitted to the home university and will be forwarded to the National Agency for approval if necessary.

Students who have a real need for additional financial support for other reasons (e.g. broken leg shortly before the start of the Erasmus stay and therefore increased travel costs) can also notify their additional costs incurred via an Erasmus+ Inclusion Support application.

More information is available



The application must be submitted in full at least 2 months before the start of the internship.

If you want to apply for an Erasmus+ student or graduate traineeship, fill in this Limesurvey and upload the following files:

  • curriculum vitae (we recommend using the Europass Lebenslauf
  • application for recognition  (must be attached signed in full for student internships)
  • proof of residence (for mobilities to the country of origin)
  • if applicable, proof of student grant

You can stop filling in at any time and continue at a later time. Please note that incomplete or late applications will not be considered for the grant award.

Applicants who are not considered will receive a written rejection.

For graduate internships: At the time of application, you must still be a student at the University of Innsbruck and a graduate at the latest 4 weeks before the start of the internship. You must not be enrolled in any other degree programme during the internship.

A checklist will help you with the planning:

Further steps

After successful application, you will receive a Learning Agreement from us, which must be signed (by the host organisation and the Dean of Studies/Associate Dean of Studies) and returned to us at least 4 weeks before the start of the internship. After that, you will receive an agreement from us. When you sign the agreement, you will then receive 80% of your grant. After completing your stay, you will be asked to submit the respective proofs and fill in an online student report. You will then receive the remaining 20% of your grant.

In case of questions, please contact:

Larissa Jenewein, MA MSc +43 512 507-32410
Office hours: MON - FRI 9:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m., TUE - WED 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. and by prior arrangement

The award of an Erasmus+ mobility grant does not include insurance cover. Students are obliged to take care of their own insurance coverage and to inform themselves about it in due time.

Students who have health insurance in Austria are in principle also insured in other European countries via the e-card. Please ask your insurance company which medical services are covered.

There are many different options regarding accident and liability insurance. In any case, clarify whether you will be insured by your internship institution for the duration of the internship. In principle, all students who have paid the ÖH-fee are also covered by accident and liability insurance during their stay abroad. It should be noted that the two insurances listed above only cover accidents and damage within working hours or during the journey to and from work, but not accidents during leisure time. More detailed information on insurance can be found on the   ÖH website.

ATTENTION: The ÖH insurance does not apply if you are doing a graduate internship!

In any case, it is advisable to find out about other options that offer comprehensive insurance cover abroad, such as:

  • co-insurance with parents (Participation in the Erasmus programme can be a reason for extension. Please contact your insurance company for more information.)
  • private supplementary insurance  
  • insurance cover via credit card, ÖAMTC, Alpine Club etc.
  • self-insurance for students via ÖGK


If you are planning an Erasmus+ internship outside the EU/EEA or the Schengen area (this includes e.g. Turkey and since 1 Jan. 2021 also the United Kingdom incl. overseas territories), then you need to find out how the visa procedure works there. Depending on the duration, type of employment and citizenship, a visa might be required. Check with your employer for further requirements. For up-to-date information, visit the websites of the respective representation authorities. If visa application costs are incurred, these can be partially covered by the International Relations Office.

Visa costs can be covered up to a maximum of EUR 200 upon presentation of proof.

Notes for internships in the United Kingdom (UK):

Due to the UK leaving the EU, the status of all EU citizens has changed there since 1 Jan. 2021. This has an impact on the planning of your internship. You must apply for a work permit on your own responsibility before the start of your internship. In addition, the Europe-wide health insurance (e-card) is no longer valid in the UK. Students must therefore look for suitable health insurance abroad on their own. You will find all the current and important information on the following websites:

If your entire placement is funded through Erasmus+, the British Council can sponsor you. You will need to apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship. You will need to independently prepare all the documents, some of which will need to be issued/signed by the International Relations Office and some by your placement provider(s). These documents will then all be sent collectively to the British Council via the International Relations Office. You can find a list of these documents and all further information here. Please note that you are responsible for the timing and completeness of the documents. We therefore recommend that you apply for the Erasmus+ grant as early as possible and get familiar with the Certificate of Sponsorship application process early enough.

You are responsible for organising your own internship placement. Please note that an internship at EU institutions and  institutions that manage or are funded by EU programmes cannot be supported.

List of companies,

where students of the University of Innsbruck have already completed an Erasmus+ traineeship and who have agreed to share their data.

General assistance regarding applications and job search, as well as various job advertisements can be found at the Career-Service of the University of Innsbruck.
We recommend using the  Europass CV for applications.

You can find internship opportunities here:

EU Fahne
Nach oben scrollen