Research Group Cell Biology
Research group leader
Room number 110
“I study plant cell biology, focusing on abiotic stress tolerance. One of the key questions in my research is how plants conquered land from their initial aquatic habitats, a process called terrestrialization. My main research interests are in desiccation, light- and UV tolerance. Main research objects are green algae of the streptophytic lineage (sister to land plants), but also terrestrial- and symbiotic algae, as well as higher plants from alpine and polar regions are used as models.
I regularly supervise Bachelor, Master and PhD students. I am active in supporting young researchers with my activities in the Section of Phycology of the German Botanical Society.”
- Sexual reproduction of Zygnematophyceae (Charophyta); FWF (P 34181), 2021-2024
- Colonization of land by conjugating green algae; FWF (I 1951), 2015-2019
- Desiccation tolerance in alpine aeroterrestrial Green algae; FWF (P24242), 2011-2016
- Permann C, Herburger K, Felhofer M, Gierlinger N, Holzinger A 2021. Induction of conjugation and zygospore cell wall characteristics in the alpine Spirogyra mirabilis (Zygnematophyceae, Charophyta): Advantage under climate change scenarios? Plants 10, 1740.
- Arc E, Pichrtová M, Kranner I, Holzinger A 2020. Pre-akinete formation in Zygnema sp. from polar habitats is associated with metabolite re-arrangement. J Exp. Bot. 71: 3314–3322.
- Rippin M, Pichrtová M, Arc E, Kranner I, Becker B, Holzinger A 2019. Metatranscriptomic and metabolite profiling reveals vertical heterogeneity within a Zygnema green algal mat from Svalbard (High Arctic). Environ Microbiol 21: 4283-4299.
- Herburger K, Ryan L, Popper ZA, Holzinger A 2018. Localisation and substrate specificities of transglycanases in charophyte algae relate to development and morphology J. Cell Sci. 131: jcs203208
- Moser S, Müller T, Holzinger A, Lütz C, Jockusch S, Turro NJ, Kräutler B 2009. Fluorescent chlorophyll catabolites in bananas light up blue halos of cell death. P. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 106: 15538-15543.
Additional research achievements
- Editorial Board member of Protoplasma
- Editor of Special issues of Journal of Experimental Botany, Protoplasma
- Organizer of Section Meeting Phycology, German Botanical Society
- Secretary of the Section Phycology, German Botanical Society
- Listed as Highly Cited Author (Baas J, KW Boyack, JPA Ioannidis (2021) August 2021 data-update for “Updated science-wide author databases of standardized citation indicators”, Mendeley Data, V3; DOI: 10.17632/btchxktzyw.3; Ioannidis JPA, KW Boyack, J Baas (2020) Updated science-wide author databases of standardized citation indicators. PLoS Biol 18(10): e3000918. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.300091; KW Boyack, J Baas (2020) Updated science-wide author databases of standardized citation indicators. PLoS Biol 18(10): e3000918. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.3000918)
- Mare Balticum Research Fellowship, Rostock, Germany 2022
- Fulbright Research Scholar, UConn, CT, USA 2018
- Canada Research Price, 2006
- Plant Cell Biology
- Plant Anatomy
- Ultrastructure of Plant Cells