“I study plant cell biology, focusing on abiotic stress tolerance. One of the key questions in my research is how plants conquered land from their initial aquatic habitats, a process called terrestrialization. My main research interests are in desiccation, light- and UV tolerance. Main research objects are green algae of the streptophytic lineage (sister to land plants), but also terrestrial- and symbiotic algae, as well as higher plants from alpine and polar regions are used as models.
I regularly supervise Bachelor, Master and PhD students. I am active in supporting young researchers with my activities in the Section of Phycology of the German Botanical Society.”
- Sexual reproduction of Zygnematophyceae (Charophyta); FWF (P 34181), 2021-2024
- Colonization of land by conjugating green algae; FWF (I 1951), 2015-2019
- Desiccation tolerance in alpine aeroterrestrial Green algae; FWF (P24242), 2011-2016
- Permann C, Herburger K, Felhofer M, Gierlinger N, Holzinger A 2021. Induction of conjugation and zygospore cell wall characteristics in the alpine Spirogyra mirabilis (Zygnematophyceae, Charophyta): Advantage under climate change scenarios? Plants 10, 1740.
- Arc E, Pichrtová M, Kranner I, Holzinger A 2020. Pre-akinete formation in Zygnema sp. from polar habitats is associated with metabolite re-arrangement. J Exp. Bot. 71: 3314–3322.
- Rippin M, Pichrtová M, Arc E, Kranner I, Becker B, Holzinger A 2019. Metatranscriptomic and metabolite profiling reveals vertical heterogeneity within a Zygnema green algal mat from Svalbard (High Arctic). Environ Microbiol 21: 4283-4299.
- Herburger K, Ryan L, Popper ZA, Holzinger A 2018. Localisation and substrate specificities of transglycanases in charophyte algae relate to development and morphology J. Cell Sci. 131: jcs203208
- Moser S, Müller T, Holzinger A, Lütz C, Jockusch S, Turro NJ, Kräutler B 2009. Fluorescent chlorophyll catabolites in bananas light up blue halos of cell death. P. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 106: 15538-15543.
Additional research achievements
- Editorial Board member of Protoplasma
- Editor of Special issues of Journal of Experimental Botany, Protoplasma
- Organizer of Section Meeting Phycology, German Botanical Society
- Secretary of the Section Phycology, German Botanical Society
- Listed as Highly Cited Author (Baas J, KW Boyack, JPA Ioannidis (2021) August 2021 data-update for “Updated science-wide author databases of standardized citation indicators”, Mendeley Data, V3; DOI: 10.17632/btchxktzyw.3; Ioannidis JPA, KW Boyack, J Baas (2020) Updated science-wide author databases of standardized citation indicators. PLoS Biol 18(10): e3000918. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.300091; KW Boyack, J Baas (2020) Updated science-wide author databases of standardized citation indicators. PLoS Biol 18(10): e3000918. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.3000918)
- Mare Balticum Research Fellowship, Rostock, Germany 2022
- Fulbright Research Scholar, UConn, CT, USA 2018
- Canada Research Price, 2006
- Plant Cell Biology
- Plant Anatomy
- Ultrastructure of Plant Cells