Assoz. Prof. Dr. Bernhard Klötzer
Assoz. Prof. Dr.
> 152 publications, h-index: 40
Date of Birth
Place of Birth
May 16, 1965
Associated Professor at the Institute of Physical Chemistry, University of Innsbruck
Habilitation in Physical Chemistry, Venia Legendi
Principal Investigator of FWF-SFB F45 “Functional Oxide Surfaces and Interfaces”, Project Part F4503-N16 “Catalytic synergisms at (bi)metallic and oxidic phase boundaries and interfaces”
Tenure Track Position at the Institute of Physical Chemistry, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Group Leader of the "Nanostructured Model Catalysts" Group at the Institute of Physical Chemistry, University of Innsbruck, jointly with PD Dr. Simon Penner
Postdoc at University of Cambridge, UK, Group of Prof. David A. King
Main Research Areas and Recognition
- Model catalysts: Electronic and geometric structure effects in heterogeneous catalysis, studied on metal single crystals, foils and oxide-supported nanoparticles.
- Pressure- and materials gap in heterogeneous catalysis.
- In-situ/ operando XPS: synchrotron-based in situ surface analysis under realistic reaction conditions.
- Ex-situ characterization of catalyst surfaces in UHV: LEIS, XPS, AES, LEED, molecular beam studies complemented by UHV-compatible high-pressure reaction cell studies under realistic conditions.
- Synthesis: defined interfaces between (bi)metallic nanoparticles and supports in order to model catalytic synergisms directionally.
- SOFC model electrodes: high-temperature and high-pressure NAP-XPS and DRIFTS studies of perovskite-and zirconia-based metal-oxide composite materials under realistic SOFC operation conditions.
- Technical (supported) catalyst materials: studies of the fundamental surface- and interface chemistry under realistic fuel/reformate gas conditions by operando FT-IR and Impedance Spectroscopy.
Additional Research Achievements
(within the last five years)
BESSY II Beamline Evaluation U49/2‐PGM1, HESGM & ISISS, Helmholtz Zentrum für Materialien und Energie (Berlin, Germany)
Invited Talk at Clariant Products GmbH, R&D Department Selective Oxidation (Bruckmühl, Germany)
Invited Talk at the Perovskite Meeting of the Max-Planck-Institute for Chemical Energy Conversion (MPI-CEC), Mülheim an der Ruhr, Germany
Workshop BESSY III expert plannings meeting on heterogeneous catalysis/ chemistry at surfaces
Prizes and Awards
CAST Technology Award 2014 (1st Place), Center for Academic Spin-Offs Tirol
Funded Research Projects
Austrian Promotion Agency (FFG) Funding of NAP-XPS instrument through F&E infrastructure project 870523 „XPS In-situ and Operando Investigations of Functional Materials”. (Project Part Klötzer ~€ 450000.-)
Catalytic synergisms at (bi)metallic and oxidic phase boundaries and interfaces, project part F4503-N19 of the SFB “Functional Oxide Surfaces and Interfaces” (FOXSI). Fonds zur Förderung der wissenschaftlichen Forschung (FWF) (708.472,48 Euro)
Ko-Finanzierung SFB Functional Oxide Surfaces and Interfaces „FOXSI“. Leopold-Franzens-Universität Innsbruck (€ 60.000,00)
Ko-Finanzierung SFB Functional Oxide Surfaces and Interfaces „FOXSI“. Leopold-Franzens-Universität Innsbruck (€ 34.132,00)
Oxide-supported Pd and Pd alloys in methanol steam reforming. Fonds zur Förderung der wissenschaftlichen Forschung (FWF), Einzelprojekt P20892-N19 (€ 289.090,20)
Editorial and Reviewer Activities
- Since 2014 Reviews for various journals (e.g. Nature Catalysis, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, RSC Catalysis Series, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Journal of the American Chemical Society, etc.).
- 2018 Invited paper to Angew. Chem. Intl. Ed., Special Issue “150 Jahre TU München”
- 2022 Guest Editor of Special Issue "Current Trends in Dry (CO2) Reforming Catalysis", Catalysts, MDPI
- 2022 Application/Proposal Review for U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science