Welcome to the AstroMundus programme!

Information & Guidelines for Studying in Austria

This page contains useful information for students starting in the  Erasmus Mundus Masters Course in Astronomy and Astrophysics offered by a consortium of 5 partner universities (see here for more details) . It is intended to help students with the requirements, policies and procedures involved throughout this experience. Therefore, we suggest that all students carefully read this page. As first hand experience is the most valuable, all students are called upon to help update it and supplement it with new detail. Hopefully, by following these guidelines their master study will become a pleasant and profitable experience. This page is not intended as a sole source to all the student's questions, but rather a reference to where more details can be found. Please make use of the links referenced in this page to be sure you have the most current information.

Passport & Visa Requirements

Students from EU/EEA member states and Switzerland coming to Austria need a valid passport to enter the country, to study and to work (see next section if you stay longer than 3 months).
Students from other countries staying for a maximum of 6 months (see next section if you stay longer than 6 months) need either:

  • A travel visa C (Reisevisum C) for entry to and residence in Austria for a stay of a maximum of 90 days;
  • residence visa D (Aufenthaltsvisum D) for entry to and residence in Austria for a stay of at least 91 days and a maximum of 6 months.

Detailed information can be found here:


Reminder: Always keep an official ID with you all the times

Obligatory Registration as a Resident

In many European countries there is a legal requirement to register your current place of residence with the local authorities or police. In Austria, a registration form called "Meldezettel" is needed. One must register as a resident in Innsbruck within 3 workdays after your arrival. A new form has to be filled in, or amended, each time residence is changed. The residents registration office is located in Maria-Theresien-Strasse 18, Rathaus, 1st floor (Monday-Thursday 8.00-15.00; Friday 8.00-12.00).
Please follow the links to detailed information and to the Meldezettel.

EU/EFTA and Swiss citizens staying for more than 3 months must apply for a residence permit (Niederlassungsnachweis: for settling in Austria, Aufenthaltserlaubnis: for working or studying but not settling in Austria) at the Rathaus.
One needs:

  • a valid passport;
  • a proof of health insurance (see the Health Insurance section);
  • evidence of adequate financial resources = evidence that at least € 400 are paid into your account (e.g. bank statement or grant confirmation);
  • a proof of registration at University of Innsbruck.

The costs for obtaining permits range from € 75-150 and are mandatory.

Reminder: At the point of departure from Austria, you must deregister at the same office.

Health Insurance

Most doctors in Innsbruck speak English. Below is a short list of English speaking doctors. Note that they were only selected for their language skills, but no other criteria. The quality of their service has not been checked and the list is not complete.

General practitioners

Dr. Peter Kleboth
Viktor Franz Hess Strasse 1, 6020 Innsbruck, Tel. 0512-281919

Dr. Wolfgang Müllauer                                                                                                                  Technikerstrasse 3/1, 6020 Innsbruck, Tel. 0512-293262

Dr. Pfretschner Andreas
Museumstrasse 24/1, 6020 Innsbruck, Tel. 0512-580019

Dr. Dietmar Fraidl
Kranebitter Allee 144, 6020 Innsbruck, Tel. 0512-291863


Dr. Ursula Grömmer
Dr.-Stumpf-Srasse 75/32. 6020 Innsbruck, Tel. 0512-292936

Opening a Bank Account

One of the first things you should do on arrival in Innsbruck is to open a bank account. This is very important because you will need a bank account for many other future steps like getting paid by your institute, of course, but also getting health insurance, for example. Some banks (e.g. Hypo Tirol Bank) offer free or cheaper accounts for students. To open a bank account you will need the following documents:

  • Your passport;
  • A mailing address (you can give your institute address);
  • Sometimes banks ask you fo the proof of residence in Austria ( Meldezettel).
  • Certain banks will ask you the proof of studies (e.g. Studienbestätigung a or the contract showing that you will be a PhD student for the next three years).

In the following days, you will receive your Bank Card, PIN and further information by mail.


German is the dominant and prevalent language spoken in Austria. However, you need to be aware that German is not exactly the same everywhere! Even though written language and grammar is uniform across the whole country, there is a wide range of regional accents and dialects. Some dialects, such as spoken in Tyrol for example, are so strong that even Austrians have difficulty understanding them. Don’t be surprised if you feel completely lost in the beginning when visiting these regions. This variety of languages reflects the wide variety of regional cultures and habits in Austria and is a source of many jokes.
If you’ve learned German abroad, you’re probably accustomed to Hochdeutsch, which can be literary translated into "proper German". Most Austrians won’t mind speaking Hochdeutsch, although in smaller villages the inhabitants will be sticking to their respective dialects.

Help Service

Useful information for people living and working in Austria is available from HELP, the Austrian government help service or the Business Service Portal USP. The service center team informs interested citizens about eGovernment topics such as the Austrian citizen card and provides competent assistance on a variety of electronic public services. Detailed information can be found here:

International Relation Office

The role of the Office for International Relations is to promote the internationalisation of the University of Innsbruck, to set up and maintain international partnerships and cooperation programmes and to support members of the university in all their international activities.

More information can be found here: http://www.uibk.ac.at/international-relations/ while an International Student Guide can be found here: http://www.uibk.ac.at/international-relations/erasmus/incoming/general_information.html

The Austrian Foreign Ministry

The Foreign Minister of Austria is responsible for handling Austria’s foreign policy. http://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/foreign-ministry.html

Tourism & Events

The following addresses are especially interesting for those who want to visit and enjoy Innsbruck and its surrounding:








If you wish to do some sport, there is a large offer (over 60 sports) at the University Sports Institute (USI, Fürstenweg 185). You will find all the information you need about the courses and how to apply (either online with your student ID number or personally with an appointment ticket) at the following address:


The Austrian Alpine Club also offers a full program for ski touring, climbing, mountain biking, etc.:

Cost of Living

Life in Innsbruck is often found to be relatively expensive. For meals and leisure activities, you should plan € 400 to 600 per month; the amount naturally depends on your personal lifestyle. A lunch menu at the Mensa costs € 4 to 6, a cinema ticket € 5.50 to 9, a one-day ski pass approx. € 30. A season ski pass for the Innsbruck area costs approx. €275.

Everyday Life

Shops are usually open from 9.00 - 18.00 Mondays to Fridays. Groceries (M-Preis, Merkur, Hofer, Spar, Billa, etc.) often open earlier. Most shops also open on Saturdays until 17.00. There is a supermarket at the main train station which is open every day from 6.00 -21.00. Innsbruck offers some larger shopping centers, namely "Sillpark" (near the train station), "Rathaus Galerien" (Maria-Theresienstr.), "DEZ" (eastern city limits), "West" (Höttinger Au 73, near Campus Technik) or "Cyta" (in Völs, west of Innsbruck).

Public Transport:

Bus and Tram: The single ticket costs € 1.90 (45 min) (can be bought on the bus), the block of 4 tickets for € 5.90. You may prefer the weekly ticket for € 12.90 or the monthly ticket for € 42.50. Some buses run almost 24 hours (Nightliner). For college and academy students under age 26, valid for 5 months on all IVB lines in the core zone (either from March until July or October until February) for € 102.00, only available at the IVB Customer Center.
If a ticket controller is on the bus and you have no ticket you must pay a fine of € 55.
Thanks to the Women’s Night Taxi, dial 55 1711, girls can be safe from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. The taxi will stay out until you switch the light in your home on. The tariff is only € 4.90 per person (always order the taxi over the phone at least 20 minute before your journey).
For further information: http://www.ivb.at/

Train: The Austrian Federal Railways (German: Österreichische Bundesbahnen, ÖBB). With the "Vorteilscard" (discount pass) you can buy your train tickets at half price for trains within Austria. This card costs € 19.90 for students under 26 and is valid for 12 months. It is available at the main station with confirmation of registration and a photo.
For further information on timetables, prices etc: http://www.oebb.at/, Vorteilscard Service Tel. 0810- 966 200


To buy a reasonable priced bike check out "ConRad" (Conrad Fahrradreparatur u Recycling, Ampfererstraße 30, 6020 Innsbruck, Österreich +43 512 276869)


Free Time Activities


Here are a few typical student bars:

Maria-Theresien-Str. 51 53, Tel. +43 512 587580

Hofgarten Cafe
Rennweg 6a (in the Hofgarten), +43 512 588871

Cafe-Music-Bar Zappa
Rechengasse 5, Tel. +43 512 390620

Das Stadtcafe
Universitätsstr. 1, Tel. +43 512 908800

Restaurant Elferhaus
Herzog-Friedrich-Str. 11, Tel. +43 512 582875

Limerick Bill’s Irish Pub
Maria-Theresienstr. 9, Tel. +43 512 582011

La Copa - La Cabana
Badgasse 4 6, Tel. +43 (0) 664 10000 16

Moustache Cafe
Herzog Otto Strasse 8 (Badgasse), Tel. +43 0680 2163908

at charly’s friends
Adamgasse 23, Tel. 0512 567345

Angerzellgasse 8, Tel. +43 512 261071


Open till the late hours, the Testarossa Bar (Leopoldstrassee 10) is often suitable as a last resort.


Cultural Institutions



  • Cineplexx World
    Tschamlerstrasse 7, Tel. +43 512 581457
    www.Cineplexx.at for information and ticket reservation
  • Metropol Multiplexx
    Innstrasse 5, Tel. +43 512 283310
    www.metropol-kino.at for information and ticket reservation (Students with ID-card are entitled to reduced ticket prices)
  • Leokino
    Anichstrasse 36, Tel. +43 512 586308
    www.leokino.at for information and ticket reservation (offer foreign films in the original version)



Remind: on October 26th is the Austria National day and you can get free admission to dozens of museums across the country.

Arrival Information

Flughafen – Tirolerheim, Technikerstr. 7:

- take Bus Line F till „Angergasse“
- cross the street, you probably have to wait about 15 Minutes
- take Bus Line T
- get off at stop “Lohbachsiedlung West”
- follow the street “Technikerstrasse”, you see the Tirolerheim on the left hand side (big white and yellow building)

Price: 1.90€


Taxis are right in front of the airport building
Cost: approximately 10-12 € to Tirolerheim, Technikerstr. 7



Train Station – Tirolerheim, Technikerstr.7


- take either Bus Line F or R till Fürstenweg
- take Bus Line O
- get off at stop “Lohbachsiedlung West”
- follow the street “Technikerstrasse”, you see the Tirolerheim on the left hand side (big white and yellow building)

Price: 1.90€


Taxis are right in front of the building
Cost: approximately  16-18 € to Tirolerheim, Technikerstr. 7

AstroMundus PartnersAstroMundus Associated Partners
This project is co-funded by the Erasmus+ programme of the European Union and was previously funded by the Erasmus Mundus Programme 2009-2013. This website reflects the views only of the authors, and the European Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.