I am a student of the Universität Innsbruck

I am a student of the Universität Innsbruck

Faced with the current refugee situation, many students ask themselves how to help in practical ways. A use- and purposeful option is the Buddy-System as well as the accommodation of single persons in shared flats, where everybody can help individually and directly.

Buddy-System – what's that?

The Buddy-System allows to get involved to an extent according to the own life situation.

A “Buddy” is a person who helps refugees officially entitled to asylum (according to the Geneva Refugee Convention), those granted subsidiary protection or asylum seekers to cope with everyday’s life in a foreign country. This may include assistance with bureaucratic procedures, doctor visits, shopping, learning German language skills or spending free time together.

For this voluntary activity as a buddy, no specific training is necessary and the volunteer can flexibly self-organize his/her activity as a buddy. An hour per week is a start already!


   Next to other non-profit organizations, in particular the Caritas (in German only) and the Freiwilligen Zentrum Tirol (in German only) offer further information and help with establishing contacts in a Buddy-System.
  In case you are interested, you may contact Ms Mag.a Margot Fischer (Caritas).


   The Red Cross is specifically supporting reunited families. (in German only)
  In case you are interested, you may contact Mr. Stephan Noack (Red Cross).

You can find the program and the link to the application form for the Buddy-System offered by the ÖH here. This buddy-program for students aims to facilitate the entrance to university studies, in particular for members of the More-Initiative and refugees interested to attend lectures at the LFU.

If you are interested you are welcome to contact the ÖH-Office for foreign Students (ÖH-Office for foreign Students, Josef-Hirn-Str. 5/7, 6020 Innsbruck, Tel: +43 512 507-35560 ) or fill in the application form.

Accommodation of single persons in shared flats

Most asylum seekers live in an asylum. If they have the chance to move to shared flats, they receive a rent allowance of up to € 240,- per month (as of 2016/07)

Living in a shared flat specifically helps those asylum seekers without a family in Austria to get in touch with others, get to know the Austrian culture and learn the German language.


In case you live in a shared flat or know open minded people that have a room that could be rented out to asylum seekers, please contact

   Diakonie Flüchtlingsdienst provides access to accommodation. They provide advice and support in legal proceedings related to renting.

   ÖH-Office for foreign students (Josef-Hirn-Str. 5/7, 6020 Innsbruck, Tel: +43 512 507-35560) or

  contact the TSD (Tiroler Soziale Dienste). (in German only)

Nach oben scrollen