MetaFrame for Windows 2000 Server (Version 1.8)
|Problems and Changes at the at the WinCenter/MetaFrame NT's
Hardware Fact Sheets
Documentation & Online Help
System Features & Software Equipment
Connecting to the MetaFrame Server
Warning 1: Do not open files on a Samba share by Office programs! Copy these files to your NT home before opening them with Office programs or use the ICAClient drive mapping feature to mount your local UNIX home! Otherwise you will force a serious system failure!
Warning 2: Do not print figures or text to the nt2-c705 color printer with Matlab from your local Windows desktop! Again, this you will force a serious system failure!
Citrix® MetaFrameTM 1.8 takes Microsoft Windows® 2000 to a higher level with end-to-end enterprise-class command and control, enterprise-wide application portals and information access on demand - to any user, anywhere.
Citrix MetaFrame gives users access to windows applications they need, with optimum performance and up-time, while maintaining complete control over their desktop experience. Two powerful MetaFrame features, Program Neighborhood[tm] and Speed Screen[tm]2 make this possible.
PCs, Mac® computers, UNIX®, Linux, workstations, laptops, Web-browser enabled devices, set top boxes, mobile handheld devices and other network appliances.
With Citrix® ICA® and Citrix MetaFrame[tm] for Windows 2000 Servers, even a wireless Windows CE device can access the most advanced business-critical applications from anywhere.
All applications look, feel and perform as if they are running on a local Windows 2000 Server desktop.
- : Click Start, point to Programs, point to Citrix ICA Client, and then click ICA Client Help.
- : Click Start, point to Programs, point to MetaFrame Tools, and then click MetaFrame Books Online.
- Citrix ICA Client for UNIX (HowTo page)
- Citrix ICA Client 6 for UNIX Help (Online Help for version 6 clients: LinuX)
Below you may find a list containing basic hardware information about the machine currently available as MetaFrame server.
|nt2-c705||188.8.131.52||Intel Pentium 4 HT
3.06 GHz (FSB 533MHz)
|512 kB L2-cache||1024 MB||Room 2/37a|
The operating system of the WinFrame Server is Windows 2000 Server, Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4. For an online help, click the Start button at the Terminal Server desktop window, and then click Help.
Installed Sofware Packages
- Adobe Acrobat Professional (Version 7.1.0) (5. 5. 2009)
- Including packages: Reader, Distiller & PDF Writer.
- Adobe Euro font (Version 5.0.5) (4. 7. 2002)
- Adobe® PostScript® Type 1 fonts of the European currency: Euro Sans has a regular weight that is the same as the official character adopted in Europe. Euro Mono is a condensed version of Euro Sans that is designed to work with monospaced fonts. Euro Serif is useful for settings of serif faces, available in regular, bold, italic, and bold italic variations.
- Adobe Photoshop (Version 7.0.1) (9. 1. 2003)
- Image editing program with powerful new features.
- Adobe Reader (Version 9.5.5) (16. 5. 2013)
- Free software to view and print Adobe PDF files.
- Adobe Reader Spead-up (Version 1.32) (4. 2. 2005)
- Adobe Reader Speed-Up (ARSU) was created in an effort to automate the process of speeding up Adobe Reader's launch time by disabling the majority of plugins that are, quite franky, completely useless for most users.
- Adobe SVG Viewer (Version 6.0 preview 1) (5. 7. 2005)
- Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) viewer.
- Anfy (Version 1.4.5) (30. 3. 2001)
- Includes 40 applets using Java[tm] technology, ultimate effects and navigational menu for web sites.
- AP (Access Point) Manager (Version 1.2.20) (27. 5. 2004)
- The ORiNOCO AP Manager lets you centrally configure, manage, and remotely monitor your enterprise-wide ORiNOCO network. From a location anywhere in the network, you can change the parameters of acces point devices, diagnose the quality of links, and monitor the health of your network.
- CorelDRAW Graphics Suite (Version 9) (19. 1. 2001)
- Including packages: Corel DRAW & Corel PHOTO-PAINT.
- CorelDRAW Graphics Suite (Version 12) (24. 5. 2004) on Nt2-c705
- Including packages: Corel DRAW & Corel PHOTO-PAINT.
- DivX Codec (Version 6.8.5), Player (Version 6.8.2) and Web Player (Version 1.4.2) (16. 6. 2009)
- DivX is often referred to as the "MP3 of video" because it has created the same revolution in digital video that the MP3 format created in digital audio. An increasing number of DVD Players, portable devices, and other consumer electronics products support DivX® video, allowing you to easily playback your favorite DivX videos on your television or view them on the road.
The DivX Player is capable of playing every type of DivX file ever created, even broken AVI files.
- ESET NOD32 Antivirus (Version 184.108.40.206) (16. 5. 2013)
- Antivirus protection is spelled "NOD32." Built on the award-winning ThreatSense® engine, ESET NOD32 Antivirus software proactively detects and eliminates more viruses, trojans, worms, adware, spyware, phishing, rootkits and other Internet threats than any program available.
- EVEREST Home Edition (Version 2.20.405) (19. 7. 2006)
- EVEREST Home Edition is a freeware system information, system diagnostics and benchmarking solution for home PC users. It offers the world's most accurate system information and diagnostics capabilities, including online features, memory benchmarks, hardware monitoring, and low-level hardware information.
- eWebEdit Pro Client (Version 220.127.116.11) (2. 5. 2007)
- (Version 18.104.22.168) (4. 11. 2005)
A Web content editor that empowers business users with the ability to easily author and maintain Web content stored in a Documentum repository. With its WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) presentation of Web content, eWebEditPro allows even novice users to begin creating HTML or XML content with very little training.
- Firefox (Version 12.0) (26. 4. 2012)
- Firefox is a fast, full-featured browser that makes browsing more efficient than ever before.
- Aladdin Ghostscript (Version 8.61) (15. 7. 2008)
- Ghostscript is an interpreter for the PostScript page description language used by laser printers.
- GSview (Version 4.9) (15. 7. 2008)
- GSview is a graphical interface for Ghostscript.
- HP Web Jetadmin (Version 7.8) on Nt2-c705 (16. 11. 2004) (Version 7.2) on Nt1-c705.
- HP Web Jetadmin is a simple peripheral management software for remotely installing, configuring, and managing a wide variety of HP and non-HP network peripherals using only a standard Web browser software.
- ImageMagick (Version 6.4.2-2 Q16) (15. 7. 2008)
- ImageMagick is a free software suite to create, edit, and compose bitmap images. It can read, convert and write images in a large variety of formats. Images can be cropped, colors can be changed, various effects can be applied, images can be rotated and combined, and text, lines, polygons, ellipses and Bezier curves can be added to images and stretched and rotated.
- IrfanView (Version 4.30) (2. 8. 2011)
- IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows.
- Java Runtime Environment 6, SE (Version 1.6.0_31) (16. 2. 2012)
- The JRE enables your computer to run applications and applets that use Java technology.
- KDiff3 (Version 0.9.91) (13. 2. 2007)
- KDiff3 is a program that
- compares or merges two or three text input files or directories,
- shows the differences line by line and character by character (!),
- provides an automatic merge-facility and
- an integrated editor for comfortable solving of merge-conflicts,
- supports Unicode, UTF-8 and other codecs,
- supports KIO on KDE (allows accessing ftp, sftp, fish, smb etc.),
- Printing of differences,
- Manual alignment of lines,
- Automatic merging of version control history ($Log$),
- and has an intuitive graphical user interface.
- LanSafe III (ls3) on Nt2-c705 (Version 6.0.4) (29. 11. 2010), on Nt1-c705 (Version 6.0.4) (29. 11. 2010)
- UPS software.
- Macromedia Flash MX (Version 6.0) (9. 1. 2003)
- Macromedia Flash MX is the fastest way to create rich Internet content and applications with a better return on investment. Powerful video, multimedia, and application development features allow the creation of rich user interfaces, online advertising, e-learning courses, and enterprise application front-ends.
- Macromedia Shockwave Player (Version 10.1.0.11) (29. 6. 2005)
- Shockwave Player displays Web content that has been created by Macromedia Director Shockwave Studio.
- Matlab (Version 22.214.171.124913a, Release 13) (21. 10. 2002)
- The language of technical computing.
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (Version 2.0, 2.0.5029.2) (19. 7. 2005)
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) 2.0 is an easy-to-use tool that helps small and medium businesses determine their security state in accordance with Microsoft security recommendations and offers specific remediation guidance. Improve your security management process by using MBSA to detect common security misconfigurations and missing security updates on your computer systems. Built on the Windows Update Agent and Microsoft Update infrastructure, MBSA ensures consistency with other Microsoft management products including Microsoft Update (MU), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Systems Management Server (SMS) and Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM).
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (Version 1.2.1, 1.2.4013.0) (19. 7. 2005)
- MBSA Version 1.2 includes a graphical and command line interface that can perform local or remote scans of Windows systems. MBSA will scan for common system misconfigurations in the following products: Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Internet Information Server (IIS), SQL Server, Internet Explorer, and Office. MBSA 1.2 will also scan for missing security updates for the following products: Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, IIS, SQL Server, IE, Exchange Server, Windows Media Player, Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC), MSXML, Microsoft Virtual Machine, Commerce Server, Content Management Server, BizTalk Server, Host Integration Server, and Office.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) (Version 6 Service Pack 1) (30. 11. 2005)
- IEAK 6 SP1 enables the most efficient way to deploy and manage Web-based solutions.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (Version 6 Service Pack 1) (30. 11. 2005)
- Internet Explorer 6 SP1 provides a flexible and reliable browsing experience with enhanced Web privacy features for all Windows users. This version includes a full installation of the Web browser and the most recent version of Outlook Express, the e-mail client that is included with Internet Explorer.
- Microsoft Office (Version 2003 Professional) (21. 9. 2010); SP3 (21. 9. 2010)
- Including packages: Access, Excel, PowerPoint & Word.
- MiKTEX (Version 2.8.3553) (19. 3. 2010)
- MiKTEX (pronounced mick-tech) is an up-to-date implementation of TeX and related programs for Windows on x86 systems.
- PC Alert III System Monitor (Version 3.3.7) (4. 1. 2001) on Nt1-c705
- MSI Utility software.
- PCTeX32 (Version 4.2.05) (26. 3. 2003)
- PCTeX32 provides a complete TEX, LaTEX, and AMS-TEX typesetting system.
- PDF Creator (Version 0.9.9) (28. 1. 2010)
- PDFCreator is a free tool to create PDF files from nearly any Windows application.
- PowerArchiver (Version 6.11.0) (30. 8. 2001)
- Archive Utility for Windows.
- PStoEdit (Version 3.45) (15. 7. 2008)
- PStoEdit is a program by Wolfgang Glunz which uses Ghostscript to convert PostScript or PDF to an editable vector format. PStoEdit can be used from GSview, using "Edit | Convert to vector format".
- PuTTY (Version 0.63) (7. 8. 2013)
- A Free Telnet/SSH Client.
- Quicktime Player (Version 7.1.6) (22. 5. 2007)
- Player for Quicktime movies.
- RealPlayer (Version 10.5, Build 126.96.36.1991) (15. 2. 2007)
- RealPlayer is a media plyaer that provides media playback locally and via streaming. It plays RealAudio, RealVideo, MP3, Quicktime MPEG-4, Windows Media, DVDs, and more.
- Scientific WorkPlace (Version 3.51, Build 1990) (27. 3. 2001)
- The convergence of mathematical typesetting and computer algebra. Perform numeric and symbolic computations and plot expressions using correct mathematical notation within your document. Then, compile and print as a LaTEX document, or print directly from the File menu.
- SeaMonkey (Version 2.9.1) (4. 5. 2012)
- Web-browser, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML editing made simple -- all your Internet needs in one application.
- Spybot-S&D (Version 188.8.131.52) (12. 2. 2009)
- Spybot - Search & Destroy can detect and remove spyware of different kinds from your computer.
- SUSwithSP (Version 1 for Server) (22. 6. 2004)
- ZID - Microsoft Windows Auto Update for Server.
- Table of Integrals, Series, and Products (CD-ROM Version 1.0) (1. 6. 2001)
- Academic Press book of I.S. Gradshteyn and I.M. Ryzhik, Fifth Edition (1996).
- TeXnicCenter (Version 1 Beta 7.50) (10. 2. 2009)
- TeXnicCenter is a feature rich integrated development environment (IDE) for developing LaTeX-documents on Microsoft Windows freely available under GPL.
- TexPoint (Version 2.0.3) (26. 4. 2004)
- TexPoint is a Powerpoint add-in that enables the easy use of Latex symbols and formulas in Powerpoint presentations.
- Thintune Manager (Version 4.0.041) (8. 3. 2006)
- Remote administration software for Thintune Terminals with firmware.
- Tivoli Storage Manager (Version 5, Release 2, Level 0.1) (24. 10. 2003)
- TSM WINDOWS Backup-Archive Client.
- UPS Monitor (upsmon) (Version 5.3) (1. 3. 2005)
- UPS Monitor software for upsman.
- WinEdt (Version 5.5, Build 20070501) (9. 7. 2007)
- WinEdt is a powerful, extremely flexible and versatile native editor and shell for MS Windows with a strong predisposition towards the creation of [La]TEX documents (and much more!).
- WinSCP (Version 5.1.6 Build 3394) (7. 8. 2013)
- WinSCP is an open source SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) and SCP (Secure CoPy) client for Windowsusing SSH (Secure SHell). Its main function is safe copying of files between a local and a remote computer.
- WinZip (Version 6.2) (8. 1. 2001)
- Archive Utility for Windows.
- WS_FTP LE (Version 6.0 2003.11.04) (21. 7. 2004)
- FTP Client for Windows.
First of all, ensure that you have done the configration procedure of the ICA Client as given in Configuring the Citrix ICA Client. Then run the Citrix ICA Client
and create a (new) connection entry.
To define a connection a Citrix server
- Choose New... from the Entry menu, or click the New Entry icon. The Propertiesdialog box is displayed to allow you to define a new connection:
- Edit the Description to describe the connection you are creating. The description is used to identify the connection in the Citrix ICA Client window.
- Select Server. Choose a Citrix server from the drop-down list. Alternatively, you can type the name of Citrix server (e.g. nt2-c705) that you want to connect to.
- If you want to log in as a specific user, select the Login page. Enter the appropriate details in the Username, and Password boxes. If you leave the fields blank you are prompted for them, if necessary, when you connect.
- Click OK to create a connection with the properties you have specified. The Citrix ICA Clientwindow shows the connection you have created:
Once you have created a connection file with the appropriate network connection properties set up, you can connect to the Citrix MetaFrame server as follows:
To open a connection
- Double-click the name of the definition connection you want to open in the Citrix ICA Clientwindow.
- Alternatively, you can select the name of the connection definition and choose Connect from the Entry menu, or click the Connect button:
This connects to the server specified in the connection file with the user name and password details you have entered in the connection definition. If you have not specified a user name or password in the connection file you are prompted to enter them if they are required.
After a short delay the ICA connection will open in a window on your UNIX workstation.
To log off from a server desktop
- choose Shut Down... from the Start menu,
- select Log off ... from the Shut Down Window, then click Ok.
- select Disconnect from the Shut Down Window, then click Ok.
Once you have created a connection in the Citrix ICA Client window you can launch a Citrix server session directly from the UNIX prompt.
To connect from the command line type the following command at the UNIX prompt:
wfica -desc "description"
description is the full text from the Description field of the Connection page.
To change your password at the MetaFrame server:
- Log on to the MetaFrame server in the usual way, and then press CTRL+ALT+DEL, or click Start, point to Settings, and then click Windows Security.
- In the Windows Security dialog box, choose the Change Password button.
- In the Change Password dialog box, type your old password, a new password, and a confirmation in the appropriate boxes, and then choose the OK button.
The files in the "
e:home" directory of the MetaFrame server nt2-c705 are automatically backed up daily by centrally-scheduled ADSM/TSM tasks. Thus, if you have deleted files or directories on nt2-c705 by mistake you can restore them by
- clicking at the TSM Backup Clienticon at the Windows desktop,
- click Start, point to Programs, point to Tivoli Storage Manager, and then click Backup Archive GUI.
In order to get a better grip on some of the more pesky users of the MetaFrame server we have activated quotas on disk drive "
e:". You can check your disk quota as follows:
- Double-click at the My Computer icon at the Windows desktop,
- click at Home (E:). The following information is displayed:
Capacity: xx,x MB (this is your disk quota)
- Used: yy,y MB
- Free: zz,z MB
>xx,x you run out your quota.
If you need additional information about the MetaFrame server or an account on it or if you have problems with applications, please contact your system administrator.
But: If your question is "How do I do ... with ..." then don't ask it until you've read the whole of the HowTo's and FAQ's yourself. We don't appreciate people who are too lazy to read the documentation. (If the documentation is unclear, or the relevant paragraph is too well hidden, then that's a different matter. Of course, we want to know about that.)