FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

  • What are the entrance requirements?

    You need a Bachelor in Business or an equivalent degree from an accredited University or organization for higher education.

    The curriculum (http://www.uibk.ac.at/fakultaeten-servicestelle/pruefungsreferate/studienplaene/english-version/ma-strategisches-management_stand-01.10.2014_en.pdf ) (§ 2, Abs. (1)) states, however: “Admission to the Master Program in Strategic Management requires a thematically relevant bachelor program completed at a university or a university of applied science or other, equivalent studies completed at an acknowledged Austrian or non-Austrian post-secondary educational institution.“

    Equivalence is given if a) you have completed at least 100 ECTS in the area of Business Administration and b) out of these 100 ECTS, you have completed at least 10 ECTS in the area of (management/financial) accounting, at least 7,5 ECTS in the area of Mathematics/Statistics, and at least 7,5 ECTS in the area of marketing, retail, strategic management, tourism/services management, or public management.

    If you received a Bachelor from the University of Innsbruck, please refer to this document to see what courses are eligible.

    The admission department of the University of Innsbruck will inform you about the equivalence of your respective educational background.

  • Can all students that have been admitted by the admission department follow the Master’s program?

    Please note that the prerequisites of the 2nd course is a passing grade of the 1st course! Only if you have successfully passed the first course ‘Strategic Management’ you can continue with the second course of our program. You will know by mid October.

    The literature for the first course can be found here.

  • Is it possible to start the program in spring?

    No. There is only one intake per year in October.

  • Is working experience a requirement?


  • Can I apply online?

    No, you need to send the application directly to the admission department of the University of Innsbruck: http://www.uibk.ac.at/studienabteilung/.

  • Are there any tuition fees?

    There are no tuition fees for students from EEC countries, except a fee of € 18,70 for the Austrian Students’ Union. International students pay a tuition fee of € 745,42 plus the fee of € 18,70 for the Austrian Students’ Union. See www.uibk.ac.at/studium/ for updates.

  • Is knowledge of German a requirement?

    Our program is taught in English. However, knowing a few German sentences helps a lot getting along.

  • Do I really need a TOEFL test or IELTS?

    It is important that your English speaking skills reach an academic standard. For non-EEA-member countries, a TOEFL or IELTS is mandatory, unless the preceding bachelor studies were in English.

  • What should be attached to the application?

    For further information go to: http://www.uibk.ac.at/studienabteilung/.

  • When is the application deadline?

    Students with a degree from EC countries: We highly recommend sending your application before the end of July to ensure admission by October 1.
    Please do not forget to pre-register online.

  • When receiving the application, is a confirmation sent out to the students?

    Yes. The admission department is sending out an information letter.

  • Why does the admission notification take so long?

    Usually notifications are sent out within a period of 3 weeks. However, in February/March and September/October the admission department is confronted with truckloads of applications so it will take longer. Also, if your application is not complete, or the admission department needs to engage in further inquiries, the application procedure takes longer. To be on the safe side, send your application before the end of July.

  • What is the duration of a program?

    2 years.

  • Is it possible to work part-time during the program?

    This is a full-time Master’s program. Only Chuck Norris can work part-time while studying this program.

  • Is there any internship included in the program?

    No. You may, of course, look for an internship on your own.

  • Is it possible to study one term abroad at a partner university?

    The intention is to spend the whole time in Innsbruck. Only in special cases and after consultation with the program coordinator, taking courses or writing your master thesis at one of our partner universities may be an option.

  • What degree will be received after I completed the program?

    Master of Science

  • How can I find accommodation?

    On the official Student Union’s Webpage (ÖH) you can find help with accommodation: http://www.oehweb.at/

  • Where can I find information about Innsbruck University?


  • What are the most important dates of the academic year?

    Please consult the official Webpage of our University at: http://www.uibk.ac.at/studienabteilung/en/termine_und_fristen-en.html

Nach oben scrollen