Preparation and Arrival in Innsbruck


Health insurance

It is strongly recommended that you organise travel and health insurance for the duration of your time in Austria/ Europe! You should also make sure that your flight and loss of baggage is covered. The University does not provide a health insurance plan.

Private/ Travel insurance

It is possible to take out private or travel insurance. Please make sure that the insurance covers all kinds of medical treatment, various types of illness and ideally your transport to and from your home country. In most cases you will need to take out a travel insurance before travelling to Austria since it is one of the requirements for your visa application.

Self-insurance policy

The so called “Tiroler Gebietskrankenkasse” offers a self-insurance policy for international students.

The insurance charges € 55,40 per month and covers treatments that are medically necessary during your stay in Austria (regular medical checks or screenings are not covered). More Information can be found on the following link:

Application documents

  • Application form
  • Studienblatt and Studienbestätigung (You can find these documents on
  • Meldungsblatt – registration form (Verlinkung mit Registrierung)
  • Passport


Please submit/ bring these documents to the headquarter of the Tiroler Gebietskrankenkasse:

Tiroler Gebietskrankenkasse
Melde- und Beitragsabteilung
Klara-Pölt Weg 2
6020 Innsbruck
Tel.: +43 (0) 59160 - 1300
Fax.: +43 (0) 59160 - 51300
Opening hours: Monday till Thursday 07.30 – 15.00, Friday 07.30 – 14.00


Medical care

To see a doctor you need to have a confirmation of your health insurance. Please make sure that you go to a so called “Kassenarzt” (panel doctor) who has a contract with your insurance company. There are also doctors who work with all insurance companies – All health funds – “Alle Kassen”

More information on

List of doctors in Innsbruck:

List of dentists in Innsbruck:

Hospital – Universitätsklinik:

Please find out more on the website of the Austrian Exchange Service (OeAD):


Visa application

Students from the European Union do not need a visa to come and study in Austria. Students from outside the European Union can enter the territory of Austria on the basis of a valid travel document (passport) and a visa. After the application has been positively reviewed, the students will receive the Letter of Acceptance. This document, an international health insurance and a confirmation of the student dorm is needed for the visa application. Students must apply at the consulate section of the Austrian embassy in their home country. You will find a list with all the consulates and embassies here:

Please be aware that the documents for visa application vary from country to Country.


Travelling to Innsbruck

The three nearest airports are Innsbruck, Salzburg and Munich.


Innsbruck’s airport, 4km to the west of the city centre, caters to a handful of national and international flights. There you can catch the Bus F and get to the centre (it takes about 10 – 15 minutes).


Munich Airport (MUC) is an international airport and it is located 28.5 km northeast of Munich near the old city of Freising. You might find cheaper flights to Munich than to Innsbruck. There are a several transfer options to Innsbruck:


FlixBus provides a transfer between Munich airport and Innsbruck several times a day. This is the cheapest option - approx.
€ 20,--. Please find out more on the following website:

Four Season Travel

Four Season Travel offers transfers from Munich to Innsbruck in small mini-busses. The company will bring you directly to your place of stay. One way ticket costs € 49,-. This service must be booked in advance.


The S-Bahn-train (8) starts directly at the airport terminal. You have to change trains at Munich East Station (München Ostbahnhof) which is convenient as this is a much smaller station than Munich main railway station (München Hauptbahnhof). You can get your tickets at the airport.


Registration at the municipal authority “Meldeamt”

Every citizen/ student has to register at the Registration Office (“Meldeamt”) of Innsbruck. You need to do this within the first three workdays after your arrival. For this you should download the document “Meldezettel”. After you filled in the form you need to get a signature from your landlord or student home. Please take this document together with your passport to the following Office:

Melde- und Einwohnerwesen, Passangelegenheiten
Maria-Theresien-Strasse 18 (Rathausgalerie)
st Floor
Tel.: +43 (0) 512 5260 - 1218
Opening hours: Monday till Thursday 08.00 - 15.00 and Friday 08.00 - 12.00 

Download – Registration Document (Meldezettel):


Registration at the Admission Department

After your arrival here in Innsbruck you need to go to the Admission Department of the University of Innsbruck (Mainbuilding, Innrain 52). Please bring your valid passport or ID and the Letter of Acceptance (which was sent to you by e-mail ).

Your contact   

Jasminka Kapferer
Room Nr. 0093, EG (Main Building, Innrain 52)
Tel.: +43 (0) 512 507 - 32627
Opening hours:
Tuesday - Thursday 9.00 - 12.00
Tuesday & Wednesday 13.30 - 15.30


At the Admission Department you will get your student ID-card and a payment slip for the mandatory fee for the Austrian Student Union (called Österreichische Hochschülerschaft – ÖH). Please pay the mentioned fee - € 20,20. If you transfer the money into a bank you might have to pay transaction costs (between € 2,- and € 5,-). Only after paying the fee for the Austrian Student Union you are officially registered as a regular student. You can check your status on (Studienbestätigung/ „admitted“ should then change to “enrolled”). Activate your student ID-card at one of the service points and print the confirmation of studies (you will need this document for opening a bank account and for your bus – semester ticket).


Opening a bank account

Some of you wish to open a bank account. You can open a student’s bank account which is free of charge. Here are some banks:

Bank Austria
Tiroler Sparkasse
Volksbank Tirol

It is important that you bring your passport and the confirmation of studies with you.



We organize a small get – together at the beginning of each semester.

Summer Semester 2020
Monday 2nd March 2020, 11.30 a.m.

Winter Semester 2020/2021
Monday 5th October 2020, 11.00 a.m.

International Relations Office
2nd  Floor Claudiasaal
Herzog-Friedrich-Strasse 3, Old town

At this event you will also meet some local students as well because our outgoing students who have come back from their exchange or those who will be going on an exchange also attend this event.


Like us on Facebook  Logo Facebook rund  and follow us on Instagram  Logo Instagram rund

Nach oben scrollen