Passport and Visa Requirements

Students from EU/EEA member states and Switzerland coming to Austria need a valid passport to enter the country, to study and to work. Please see the information "First steps" if the stay is longer than 4 months.

Students from other countries staying for a maximum of 6 months need either

  • A travel visa C (Schengen Visa) for entry to and residence in Austria and in all other Schengen countries for a stay of a maximum of 90 days or
  • A residence visa D (Aufenthaltsvisum D) for entry to and residence in Austria for a stay of at least 91 days and a maximum of 6 months

Visa have to be applied for personally at the competent Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate-general) in your country before travelling to Austria. It will be issued by this authority. The Visa cannot be renewed in Austria.

Students staying for more than 6 months need a residence permit for students (Aufenthaltsbewilligung "Student") for entry to and residence in Austria.

Please visit the OeAD´s Database Entry and Residence for Students and Researchers for details and application forms. All documents (except passport) must be submitted in certified German translation. This procedure can take several months as the application will be forwarded to Austria for processing.

The travel document plus visa must be carried at all times to prove your entitlement to residence in Austria.
The residence permit for students does not give you the right to work in Austria! This must be applied for separately and is only possible in exceptional cases.

  • More Information for incoming students is available here.
Nach oben scrollen