10-011 Creating a Learning path
Lecturers can activate OpenOlat courses for their own lectures independently. Below, you will find step-by-step guides relating to this topic.
Administrative staff or student assistants, acting on behalf of lecturers, have the option of filling in the online course creation application form below and the course will be created within two working days. https://umfrage.uibk.ac.at/limesurvey/allgemein/index.php/337325?lang=de
For more information on Conventional courses please seeHelpCard 10-010.
Please note: It is not possible to convert between Conventional courses and Learning path courses.
A Learning path course is a specific type of course in OpenOlat that shows a linear structure. This means that learners will have to proceed through the course elements in a predetermined order. Learners are led through the learning process. Every time that the learner has finished a course element, their learning process moves forward. This way the learning process and activities can be made visible for participants as well as course owners. This visualisation helps the course owners keep an overview over the learners and their progress. It makes it possible for course owners to react to individual processes of learners and offer direct support for problems. Especially for self learning setups or blended learning setups this can be an advantage.
For more information on the configuration of Learning path courses seeHelpCard 10-031.
Creating a Learning Path course
- Click on Authoring. The Authoring section opens up.
- Underneath the Favourites tab, click on the Create button. A dropdown menu appears.
- Choose the Course option. The course wizard opens up.
- Underneath course type, choose Learning Path.
- Click on the arrow pointing down beside the field Course title. Courses chosen from this list can be synchronized with VIS:online. The members list will then be transferred from VIS:online into OpenOlat and will be updated regularly. If that’s not what you want, you can freely choose a course title and create a so-called autonomous course. Here, no members list will be synchronized and members will have to be added manually. Further information can be found in this HelpCard 20-020. You have been automatically added to the course as owner.
- Choose the button Add owners to add further course owners to the course. They can also be added or deleted later, using the Members management option (HelpCard 20-020).
- Go to Course access. These settings depend on your choice of a VIS:online synchronised course or an autonomous course in the previous step.
- Course members (VIS:online): Members will automatically be transferred from VIS:online.
- Course members (self-enrolment combined with VIS:online): Makes it possible for all registered OpenOlat also to enroll themselves as course members.
- Course members (manual management): You as the course owner enroll the members manually via the Members management options of the course (for more information see HelpCard 20-020).
- �Enrollment (self-enrolment): This allows all OpenOlat users to enroll as members of a course.
- Access code: The code has to be typed in when the course is opened for the first time (Please pay attention to upper case� and lower case letters!)
Period: The course is open within a specific time period of time.
Choose Create once more. A new window opens up.
The most commonly used course elements will be suggested to you. You may choose whichever you find useful. These will then automatically be created in your course. You can also search for other courses with you as an owner, via the button Copy from in order to copy course elements from these.
- Choose the desired course element and click on Next button.
- Choose the desired learningressource and click on Next button.
- If asked for, choose the files that you want to transfer.
Click on the OK button and your will arrive in the Settings of your course. Further information can be found in HelpCard 10-012. You can use the Copy from function in your course editor at a later stage to add further elements (see HelpCard 10-050).
In the upper left corner, click on the name of your course. This will bring you to the course view. If you have added course elements while creating the course, you will find them in the course structure to the left. In the Toolbar, you will find the standard toolset. The functionality of the management toolbar is explained in HelpCard 10-100. You will find further information on course elements and the management of them in HelpCard 10-020.
Problems or questions?
Phone: +43 512 507-23555
Mail to email@example.com
The University of Innsbruck values gender-sensitive formulations. In OpenOlat, the generic masculine is currently still used. References to OpenOlat specific terms are therefore adopted directly for the sake of clarity.
Please note: it may happen that the English HelpCards are not up to date. Should you find discrepancies with the functions in OpenOlat, please refer to the German version of the HelpCard.
OpenOlat HelpCards by Universität Innsbruck: Digitale Medien und Lerntechnologien and Hochschule Furtwangen: Learning Services is licensed under CC BY-NC 4.0