Applied and Trophic Ecology
Our work addresses the ecology of animals in natural and managed ecosystems and the role these organisms play in providing ecosystem services. We seek to understand mechanisms governing the structure and functioning of natural communities through integration of molecular techniques and stable isotope analysis with laboratory and field experiments. A major objective is the analysis of food web interactions. Current work explores, for example, food web structure and dynamics in pioneer communities within Alpine glacier forelands or how generalist predators respond to invasive earthworms. Other work addresses how plant diversity affects the dietary choices of soil-dwelling insect pests in Central Europe or whether the roots of exotic grasses sustain the larvae of endangered moths in Australia. DNA-based techniques also provide a powerful means to identify soil invertebrates, the basis to answer questions on biodiversity/species-identity effects for soil formation or plant protection. Our research is embedded in collaborative projects with scientists from several European countries, the USA, Chile, Peru, Nepal and Australia.
- Michael Traugott, Dr. PD Associate Professor (Head)
- Yasemin Guenay, MSc.
- Anita Juen, Dr.
- Johannes Oehm, Mag.
- Oskar Rubbmark, MSc.
- Petra Schattanek Mag. MSc.
- Julia Seeber, Dr.
- Daniela Sint, Dr.
- Karin Staudacher, Dr.
- Bettina Thalinger, Dr. MMMag.
- Corinna Wallinger, Dr.
- Zhengpei Ye, MSc.
- Christiane Zeisler, MSc.
Sandra Cupic, Kathrin Egger, Nina Egger, Britta Frei, Marco Köb, Romina Reinpold, Carina Schieder, Sandra Sequani, Kristina Wild
Food Web Designer
Our 5 latest papers
Sint, D., Sporleder, M., Wallinger, C., Zegarra, O., Oehm, J., Dangi, N., Giri, Y.P., Kroschel, J. & Traugott, M. (2016) A two-dimensional pooling approach towards efficient detection of parasitoid and pathogen DNA at low infestation rates. Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 7, 1548-1557. Link
Tiede J., Wemheuer B., Traugott M., Daniel R., Tscharntke T., Ebeling A. & Scherber C. (2016) Trophic and Non-Trophic Interactions in a Biodiversity Experiment Assessed by Next- Generation Sequencing. PlosOne 11(2): e0148781.
Oehm J., Thalinger B., Mayr H., Traugott M. (2016) Maximising dietary information retrievable from carcasses of Great Cormorants Phalacrocorax carbo using a combined morphological and molecular analytical approach. IBIS, 158, 51 - 60.
- Structure, strength and invasibility of aphid food webs (APHIWEB)
Nicolas Desneux (coordinator) and Michael Traugott (PI Austrian project part)
- Trophic assessment of ecosystem services provided by carabid beetles in agricultural land
Corinna Wallinger (PI) and Michael Traugott (Co-PI)
- Impact of biotic invasion on food web interactions: Tracking predation on native and invasive earthworms by molecular techniques
Daniela Straube and Anita Juen (PI)
- Indigenous natural enemies of the invading maize pest Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte (Coleoptera, Chrysomelidae)
Anita Juen (PI)
- The feeding ecology of cormorants
Johannes Oehm, Bettina Thalinger, Andreas Zitek, Thomas Prohaska and Michael Traugott (PI)
- APPEAL: Assessment and valuation of Pest suppression potential through biological control in European Agricultural Landscapes
Mattias Jonsson (coordinator & PI), Josef Settele (PI) and Michael Traugott (PI)
- The importance of natural enemy diversity and food-web structure for biological control
Mattias Jonsson (PI), Cory Straub, Barbara Ekbom and Michael Traugott
- Agricultural intensification and aphid-parasitoid food webs
Zhengpei Ye, Ines Vollhardt (PI) and Michael Traugott (PI)
- Effects of fertilization type on biocontrol of pests
Oskar Rubbmark, Daniela Sint (Co-PI) and Michael Traugott (PI)
- Sparkling Science: The effect of fertilization type on invertebrates and plants in cereal fields
Corinna Wallinger, Michael Traugott, Johannes Rainer, Ulrike Traugott-Priester, Gabriele Pallua, Andrea Illmer-Zotlöterer, Ute Hiederer-Willi, Daniel Nigg, Daniela Sint (PI)
- Promoting pest movement to enhance biological control of potato leafhopper
Michael Traugott and Cory Straub (PI)